Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   ? for those who put an SE compensator in.. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/661728-for-those-who-put-an-se-compensator-in.html)

Reaper22 07-02-2011 06:08 PM

? for those who put an SE compensator in..

All went well when installing the SE compensator no more bang starting but I have this chattter noise when cruising bout 60 to 70 mph and it sounds like it comes from primary,Seems like I hear it more when cruise is on, it is a weird chatter kinda sound, seems like I can only hear it when going straight down road not when cornering, now keep in mind this is my first HD, it is an 08 street glide and comming from a honda vtx mabee it's just normal but thought I would pop the ?, does anyone else have this issue and what else could it be. Just worried after reading bout all the issues people are having with 08 to 010's want to get repaired if something is wrong before we go on a long trip. the bike had 4200 miles on it when I bought it and it now has 8200 miles on it. This bike handles and runs way better than the vtx I really love ride'n it, dont't really care that it is out of warrenty just need to know if I need to have it repaired. Oh an running Ams oil synthetic oil in primary too..
Thanks for your time..

1931jamesw 07-02-2011 06:31 PM

I just got the SE comp yesterday and I have more chatter also. No more bang at startupbut a little more chatter. I know someone else who also has more chatter with the SE comp but weve decided that the trade off is worth the extra chatter. Shifting is a more positive feel with the SE and no more bang at startup. Ive also noticed that the SE doesnt have the slack in the drivetrain feel like the original comp did.

speakerfritz 07-02-2011 07:03 PM

don't want to panic anyone....but I read in one of the threads that there is a nut that after applying the correct toruqe, really is not applying the correct pressure....so there's a shim that is sometimes needed....there is a harley part number that appeaered in the thread...but most of the deallers don't know anything about it. Im on the road, so can't really do a good search, but if you search the threads I'm sure you will find it. Or you can post a question about the shim in a new thread.

Reaper22 07-03-2011 08:33 AM

Yeah, I agree chatter for grind/bang is a well worth tradoff, thanks for your reply, but would like to know why there is a chatter...

Did the shim search and all I could find was the shim was needed on the stock compensator, no mention of the shim with the SE compensator..
Thanks for the heads up..

Cotton Hill 07-03-2011 09:09 AM

Please explain the BANG/GRIND sound. My 08 RG if I restart it say after gassing up it bucks the starter and sounds like starter Bendix keeps disengaging. I replaced the starter last yr with a SE HItorqe one.

Reaper22 07-03-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill (Post 8527119)
Please explain the BANG/GRIND sound. My 08 RG if I restart it say after gassing up it bucks the starter and sounds like starter Bendix keeps disengaging. I replaced the starter last yr with a SE HItorqe one.

With stock compensator when starting it sounds like a grind then sounds and feels like you hit he engine with a deadblow hammer, that's the best I can describe it..

davessworks 07-03-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 8525640)
don't want to panic anyone....but I read in one of the threads that there is a nut that after applying the correct toruqe, really is not applying the correct pressure....so there's a shim that is sometimes needed....there is a harley part number that appeaered in the thread...but most of the deallers don't know anything about it. Im on the road, so can't really do a good search, but if you search the threads I'm sure you will find it. Or you can post a question about the shim in a new thread.

There was some shim retrofit for 2007 with the stock compensator. I haven't heard of one that goes with the SE compensator. I sure as heck wouldn't bother starting a new thread on this - but you go right ahead.

Guntoter 07-03-2011 02:16 PM

I don't think any shim is necessary for the SE as the bolt is only bearing against the large nut that goes on the output shaft. The sprocket itself floats.

I notice a bit of clatter, or whatever you want to call it, when cruising at around 2000-2250 rpm in some gears, but I think I had that sometimes with the stock compensator. The extra strength of the SE outweighs any differences in noise. I don't think the noise is meaning any detrimental problems.

Reaper22 07-03-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Guntoter (Post 8528098)
I don't think any shim is necessary for the SE as the bolt is only bearing against the large nut that goes on the output shaft. The sprocket itself floats.

I notice a bit of clatter, or whatever you want to call it, when cruising at around 2000-2250 rpm in some gears, but I think I had that sometimes with the stock compensator. The extra strength of the SE outweighs any differences in noise. I don't think the noise is meaning any detrimental problems.

Cool man....

Jackie Paper 07-03-2011 04:08 PM

Not sure if you installed it but if not hope the installer checked chain alignment. On my 04 there is a .125 shim between the compensator and alternator rotor. It aligns the front chain sprocket to the back sprocket (after .03 chain links nip sprocket edges). See my album were my chain was out of alignment. Alignment need to be checked on any modification of this type. While back there were about 6 options for this shim thickness. Think Harley did away with them but I would check alignment.