Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap out HK for Sony or Kenwood

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap out HK for Sony or Kenwood

I posted this in the audio section...but not any response so far....thought I would try here. I'm tired of my factory HK radio on my 09 SG and would like to swap it out. I've already had it replaced under warranty once and now the screen has gone blank again. It plays just fine...just cant see whats on the screen.

I have considered an Iron Cross Audio repair...But I'm thinking I'd like to just cut my losses and start with something better.

My main concern is can I still use the Hogtunes Amp, 2 Ohm front speakers, and HOGPOD speakers with a marine rated Sony or Kenwood? Would I have to buy new speakers and Amp...or will the ones I have work with the new radio?

Also...any tried and true suggestions as to which stereo to go with? Don't need anything crazy...just play CD's, work with all hand control functions, and have an aux input for my Droid...

Thanks...Tony

Old 02-27-2011, 07:58 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

I removed the HK and put in a Sony with USB and aux input also have hogtunes and put in a kenwood amp I use the PAC interface for hand controls ,Biketronics sells complete install kits but I made my own

Old 02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not possitive if Hogtunes amp is compatible with 4 ohm speakers,I would contact pez at Hogtunes. I also swapped out a Harman kardan for A sony marine marine unit which got water damage thru cover (BIketronics).I am now using a Alpine marine head unit with a Elf audio amp (this amps works with 2 or 4ohm speakers),Hogtunes tweeter pod and a set of Hertz 6.5 inch speakers. I know you will hear good things about Sony,but I would stay away from them,Buy an alpine or kenwood head unit. I also have the Biketronics kit and recomend it because it is the only one with AVC.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by IBHarley
I removed the HK and put in a Sony with USB and aux input also have hogtunes and put in a kenwood amp I use the PAC interface for hand controls ,Biketronics sells complete install kits but I made my own
Did you notice any change with the new head unit? How do you like it?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Did you notice any change with the new head unit? How do you like it?

the radio works perfectly with hand controls and sound is not bad I can set different sound characteristics from the Sony radio that could not be done with the HK and to me it is much wider in sound I also ordered the biketronics splash cover because this radio is not water resistant like the HK other than that I'm very happy with it really like the USB connection to my IPhone

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Smyln
Advanced

Originally Posted by andyp
I am not possitive if Hogtunes amp is compatible with 4 ohm speakers,I would contact pez at Hogtunes. I also swapped out a Harman kardan for A sony marine marine unit which got water damage thru cover (BIketronics).I am now using a Alpine marine head unit with a Elf audio amp (this amps works with 2 or 4ohm speakers),Hogtunes tweeter pod and a set of Hertz 6.5 inch speakers. I know you will hear good things about Sony,but I would stay away from them,Buy an alpine or kenwood head unit. I also have the Biketronics kit and recomend it because it is the only one with AVC.
are you saying you bought the sony marine and ended up having to replace with an alphine marine?

I ride in the rain regularly.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes I had the Sony m 60 marine unit it got a few drops of water on it thru splash cover.I replaced it with the Alpine unit I have with no more problems.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Biketronics Sony setup and it sounds good with the ARC mini amp and 6.5 inch Titan Hertz speakers. I have the splash cover...but haven't had to use it yet. The Biketronics was a plug and play setup and the hand controls work great also.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can buy any compatible head unit (i.e. compatible with the Biketronics interface module) and still use your amp and speakers. The amp won't care about the impedance of the head unit, and the speakers won't care about the head unit's impedance since they're getting their audio signals from the HT amp for which they were intended.

Carl

Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Thanks for the input guys...

I ordered my Sony CDX-GT700HD head unit, install kit, and splash cover last night from Biketronics. Hope to have it in before Daytona.

I think I might still send in my factory radio for repair at Iron Cross and either sell it to make some coin back, or keep it on the shelf in case I have any issues with the Sony.

Quick Reply: Swap out HK for Sony or Kenwood