Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Will I Need an Oil Cooler When I Move? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/664395-will-i-need-an-oil-cooler-when-i-move.html)

VTGlideRider 07-10-2011 05:51 AM

Will I Need an Oil Cooler When I Move?

I currently live in Vermont but have my house up for sale and will be moving to Port St. Lucie FL. From what I've been reading here it seems like getting an oil cooler is probably going to be in my future when I move. I talked to my dealer service guy and he said not so much for up here but if your going to a hotter climate like that its probably a good idea. He also said if he does the job it would be 1.2 hours labor to install the HD Premium oil cooler and suggests I wait until my next oil change so they can do them at the same time.

Any thoughts on whether I should be looking to do this based on your experiences? Thanks! :)

Ticitme 07-10-2011 06:10 AM

It only took me an hour to put my oil cooler on because I had to run to the store to get an allen wrench big enough to install the new oil filter adapter. Otherwise, it's 4 hose clamps and 2 bolts. Obviously in a shop setting they have a flat rate to install it so they can keep the lights on. I would say that for the piece of mind, the oil cooler is worth it.

'05Train 07-10-2011 06:11 AM

You can add one if you like, the bike doesn't need one.

Pastor John 07-10-2011 06:45 AM

I had been thinking about an oil cooler for my '11 Ultra Classic because it was running hot and lean. After a trip to the mountains in 95* heat a few weeks ago, I was convinced I was going to blow the motor up - it was pinging, running sluggish, burning up.

But my dealer suggested a "modified" Stage 1 setup with the SE Intake and HD Download for about $350. Said I could add mufflers later if I wanted, but that those two items would help a lot. So that's the route I took.

It worked very well! I just finished a three day tour up in the mountains in very hot conditions. Two-up, saddlebags and tour-pak stuffed to overflowing. The bike ran excellently, and no hint of overheating or stressing the motor. I'm more pleased with the bike now than I ever have been.

I don't think I need the oil cooler now.

dawg 07-10-2011 06:48 AM

I live in VT and run an oil cooler.

VTGlideRider 07-10-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pastor John (Post 8553216)
I had been thinking about an oil cooler for my '11 Ultra Classic because it was running hot and lean. After a trip to the mountains in 95* heat a few weeks ago, I was convinced I was going to blow the motor up - it was pinging, running sluggish, burning up.

But my dealer suggested a "modified" Stage 1 setup with the SE Intake and HD Download for about $350. Said I could add mufflers later if I wanted, but that those two items would help a lot. So that's the route I took.

It worked very well! I just finished a three day tour up in the mountains in very hot conditions. Two-up, saddlebags and tour-pak stuffed to overflowing. The bike ran excellently, and no hint of overheating or stressing the motor. I'm more pleased with the bike now than I ever have been.

I don't think I need the oil cooler now.

That's interesting. I did my stage 1 but decided against the HD download because from what I researched it didnt do much for the lean condition as they have to stay within EPA guidelines. Part of the reason I went with the PC-V from FuelMoto.

I've already richened things up from stock so I'm sure that will help, just wondering what other folks in hotter climates have experienced.

dontdropit 07-10-2011 07:05 AM

I was once convinced an oil cooler was needed. I ride my 09 without one and can't tell any difference in my 07 that I put an oil cooler on. I would ride it first your bike may be just fine without it.

Just Dave 07-10-2011 07:11 AM

I have lived down here for twelve years now and some folks have them but most don't. I think you are going to be surprised at how warm it really is down here. High's rarely exceed 92 and you almost always have a breeze blowing on the coastal areas. We tend to stay way below the temps for much of the country in the summer. So don't sweat the Florida Heat! Its mostly hype spread by folks that don't know how miserable heat can really be. The really nice part is that we are riding while everybody else is storing their bikes for the season. Be sure to check in with the Florida Crew about your upcoming move. Lots of knowledgeable folks that can help you out with that area. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/

1fathog 07-10-2011 07:13 AM

I live in south Florida (Miami) and ride a 2010 Ultra and I went the FuelMoto way also. Stage one Air Filter, PC-V with Fuel Moto map and their Jackpot mufflers, also changed the headpipe to an 09 w/o the Cat ( off e-bay for $35.00 shipped) and what a difference it made with reducing the heat from the motor. Six months later at oil change time I called Keith at FuelMoto and bought the Woods 6-6 cams and I installed them along with their new map from Fuelmoto (Free Lifetime upgrades) if purchased from them (Great Guys and Service). I also installed the H-D oil cooler at that time. Couldn't be happier, She runs like a champ now......

oldhippie 07-10-2011 07:17 AM

Stage 1 + Oil Cooler is the ticket.