Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second Round w/CFR Mufflers

Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second Round w/CFR Mufflers

I tried the CFR mufflers over a year ago and couldn't get my motor to run well with them. I bought them used, tried them and sold them. I started doing some motor mods on my motor a few months ago and missed the CFR sound. I found the CFR knock offs and tried them. Much better this time around with the knock offs. A couple weeks ago I found an awesome deal on a gently used set of CFR mufflers with CFR headers. I thought I would dump the knock offs and go back to the real thing.

Boxes came from the seller and last weekend I didn't have time to install the headers, so I just installed the mufflers on my Bub true dual headers. I went for a 50 mile ride and the bike is like crap again. I have a map for my PCV from Fuelmoto that is for my setup and it ran great with the knock offs. I did tweak a few cells for a couple of flat spots. I am going to try going back to the unaltered map this evening from FM, but I am still going to guess it will not make a difference.

The bike seems to shake real bad and only likes higher rpms. The mirrors, handlebar and rear turn signal bar rattle real bad in low rpms. I put the two different mufflers side by side and the only thing I noticed was the diameter of the holes in the baffles. The CFRs have a honey comb like baffle that run around the perimeter inside of the muffler, and the real CFRs have smaller holes than the knock offs. Not a huge difference, but noticable. I believe that the ko's are louder, too. Maybe because of the size of the holes in the baffle.

Anyway, would anyone happen to know what could be causing this vibration with both sets of real CFRs I have tried? I plan on installing the CFR headers soon, and I have a Autotuner for the PCV I just pruchased from Dennis here on the forum to add to the headers since they have O2 bungs. I have not heard of others experiencing this with CFRs and other headers, so it can't be the Bubs making a difference. Maybe a good tune with the AT will cure the problem.

Last edited by MrHog; 07-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have CFR's along with a V&H TD header and mine runs great. My motor is stock besides an AC and a PC-V. I've had my set up dyno tuned as well.

I've read from a few people that have had motor work done, they cannot get their motors to run right with CFR's. Something about them being too wide open, no back pressure.

What have you had done to your motor?

Never mind, just saw your signature.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday night I installed the front right CFR header with a new exhaust gasket. I also went back and loaded the PCV map FM sent me. I ran about 75 miles yesterday, and it is running much better. I have a 110 mile poker run I am doing today. I am going to try and get the rear left header on before, but I may wait until tomorrow. Afterwards, the Autotuner will go on and will hopefully be the icing in the cake.

Kind of funny I am running two different dual headers, but the Bub and the CFR rear left headers look exactly the same. The front headers are extremely different. CFR is straight all the way down past the cam plate. The Bub has a bend up and over toward the end below the passenger board.

Attached Thumbnails Second Round w/CFR Mufflers-sam_0869.jpg  

Last edited by MrHog; 08-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.