Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New handlebars.. New issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM
SF_BluCllr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New handlebars.. New issues..

Whats going on everyone, new to the site and looking to pick some member's brains.

Just installed a set of 16" meat hook style handlebars on my 2000 FLHT. Got everything hooked back up and now nothing on the right side works control-wise. No ignition, no brake light, no turn signal. Im an electrician by trade and im immeadiatly assuming its the wiring going through the bar (that i had to extend). But before i go ahead and go through the pain in the *** process of taking it back out i wanted to know if anyone knows anything else i should check first? I left my continuity meter at work so i couldnt check for shorts tonight. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time

Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
streetglidetroy
Road Captain

Sounds like you better check and make sure you got the wires back to where theyre supposed to be in the duetsch connector

Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM
SF_BluCllr
Novice

yea im hoping to get more answers when i get the trusty ol voltometer out but i made a wiring diagram and feel pretty comfortable with how it all went together. But definatly going to check it out, thanks for the input!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Might've pinched an ignition wire in the control housing. (my guess)

Maybe try losening the housing & jiggling it to see if anything works.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 PM
SF_BluCllr
Novice

would that cause the turn signal and the brake light not to work though??

Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 AM
RoninR1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SF_BluCllr
yea im hoping to get more answers when i get the trusty ol voltometer out but i made a wiring diagram and feel pretty comfortable with how it all went together. But definatly going to check it out, thanks for the input!
"Got everything hooked back up and now nothing on the right side works control-wise. No ignition, no brake light, no turn signal."

Hi SF, not saying you'd do anything as silly as me, but I drew out a diagram and taken photos before I disassembled the connector. During reassembly I was careful to follow my diagram to a "T". Problem was (I'm claiming fatigue...I only get to work on the bike late at night) I was viewing the connector from the opposite disassembled half when I reconnected the pins into the plugs. I'd put the wire colors back in the connector in a mirror image.

Not saying you'd do the same, but it might be worth a check.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 AM
SF_BluCllr
Novice

yea, im re check and check again before i go and pull the harness. But i left the plugs (the unused connectors) as they were so im thinking im safe as far as that goes. But im defiatly going to give that a looking at, thanks for the input!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RoninR1
"Got everything hooked back up and now nothing on the right side works control-wise. No ignition, no brake light, no turn signal."

Hi SF, not saying you'd do anything as silly as me, but I drew out a diagram and taken photos before I disassembled the connector. During reassembly I was careful to follow my diagram to a "T". Problem was (I'm claiming fatigue...I only get to work on the bike late at night) I was viewing the connector from the opposite disassembled half when I reconnected the pins into the plugs. I'd put the wire colors back in the connector in a mirror image.

Not saying you'd do the same, but it might be worth a check.
Doing a bar change myself at the moment and made a diagram all labeled and nice. Well last night I took that diagram out to the garage just to double check that what I wrote down matched the plugs on the bike and everything was backwards.... WTF... then I realized my diagram view was from the front and if I viewed it as if the plugs were going together it was correct. Had me worried for awhile. Of course I have not put it back together yet so I'm knocking on weed here!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done my bars a few times now and on one of the times, I caught myself putting the pins back into the plugs backwards. One way to tell is when you reconnected your plug, does that color wire continue on the other plug? Just food for thought. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 AM
SF_BluCllr
Novice

yea the colors might work, although i noticed that sometimes it isnt the same color on the other side of the connector.. Well when i get this figured out il let you guys know, maybe somone else will have the same problem.

Quick Reply: New handlebars.. New issues..