Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Slash cut of exhaust (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/668756-slash-cut-of-exhaust.html)

strtarrow 07-21-2011 06:36 PM

Slash cut of exhaust

Just wondering why some choose to go with the slash cut down as opposed to cut up when the natural way is with the cut down to compliment the bags. Not ragging on anyone's choice but merely curious. One downside I have with cut down (I think) is that I tend to scrape more often if I am not careful, say pulling out of a parking lot, gas station, etc.

Kesean 07-21-2011 08:00 PM

In my opinion the only time the slash cut looks good is if you have the extended bags and fender to match. Regular bags with a slash cut TO ME doesn't look good. But again that's just my opinion. But to each his/her own on what they do with their scoot. As long as they like it that's all that count.

fathertime 07-21-2011 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
slash up works for me . just follows the angle of the bags .. i have h/d cvo extensions on mine... pipes are a little louder to the rider i think too

BeeRAD56 07-21-2011 09:20 PM

I picked the slash up to match the rake of the bags.

IowaMike 07-21-2011 09:48 PM

I like the way slash-up follow the bag contour.

twistedcherokee 07-21-2011 10:37 PM

I like the slash down, just my preference. Not sure why it would bottom out on curbs more than the slash up, seems it would be just the opposite. Right now I am running some Rhinehart knock offs.

Toby

DeneFXDWG 07-21-2011 11:44 PM

I pondered the same question...

before choosing slash downs for my bagger. The reason was that I think the slash ups look good when you have the big droopy saddlebag extensions, (for lack of a better name). They follow the contour better. On my FLH I chose slash downs because you see a lot more chrome protruding. If I went with slash ups, you have to constantly keep the inside clean with brake clean because there is nothing worse that looking at a black crudded up hole of the pipe IMHO. Slash downs hide that to a certain extent.

dhincc 07-21-2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by twistedcherokee;
I like the slash down, just my preference. Not sure why it would bottom out on curbs more than the slash up, seems it would be just the opposite. Right now I am running some Rhinehart knock offs.

Toby

I think the OP got his terminology backwards. To the OP : slash -ups are shorter on top and longer on bottom. They continue along the same line as the bags. That's what I recently put on. Jackpots from Fuelmoto. I really like them.

Ride safe!

FenderGuy53 07-22-2011 07:45 AM

Slash down. Directs fumes, heat and sound away from rider/passenger. Nicer view - chrome instead of baffles. Keeps rain and crap from dropping into your pipes.

fireguy5 07-22-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53 (Post 8602882)
Slash down. Directs fumes, heat and sound away from rider/passenger. Nicer view - chrome instead of baffles. Keeps rain and crap from dropping into your pipes.

X2...