Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-cat headpipe or buy aftermarket

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
For the newer pipes with the O2 sensors mounted down low in the catalyst chamber, the cross talk issue is not BS. You have two O2 sensors, one for each cylinder, If they are both reading the same mixed exhaust gas in the now empty catalyst chamber, the ECM loses the ability to discern which cylinder cylinder needs the AFR adjusted. You can always weld new bungs further upstream to mitigate this real issue. The only way this is not an issue is if you disable the O2 function as previlously mentioned and go back to a strictly map based AFR control, or if you are of the "good nuff tune" persuasion and willing to accept less than optimal performance. If you are modifying your EFI induction system on a budget, then you get what you pay for; disabling or distorting the function of the O2 sensors by any method then you might as well be running a carburator.
The O2 sensors are not both in the collector. The front one is actually in the pipe. So yes, it is BS. You can clearly see they are separated if you take one apart.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i don't get the 'cross talk' issue. the sensors are placed in the collector in front of the catalyst.
Yes but the exhaust actually flows in both directions.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
The O2 sensors are not both in the collector. The front one is actually in the pipe. So yes, it is BS. You can clearly see they are separated if you take one apart.
Nuh Uh... Yeah Huh... I never said they were in the collector. Do you know what a collecter is? as opposed to a chamber. When talking about exhaust there is a big diference in being seperated and being completely shrouded from each other. Ever heard of a condition called reversion in exhaust, does this ring a bell? It happens in all exhausts, just to different degrees. I tune my own bike using exhaust gas analyisis so why don't you go ahead and tell me all about it. Y'all claim this works with no issue, but you have no means to measure and actually observe what the issue is. You do it your way and I'll do it the right way.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Nuh Uh... Yeah Huh... I never said they were in the collector. Do you know what a collecter is? as opposed to a chamber. When talking about exhaust there is a big diference in being seperated and being completely shrouded from each other. Ever heard of a condition called reversion in exhaust, does this ring a bell? It happens in all exhausts, just to different degrees. I tune my own bike using exhaust gas analyisis so why don't you go ahead and tell me all about it. Y'all claim this works with no issue, but you have no means to measure and actually observe what the issue is. You do it your way and I'll do it the right way.
OK, Thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Keep the stock pipe you may need it.
+1

Couple reasons:

1) Warranty

2) Here in Utah, the powers that be implemented emissions testing on cars in 1978. When they did that, they decided to require cars from 1968 on to be tested.

Since they back-dated the test to include cars that were 10 years old, then many people who had modified their emissions equipment (remove AIR pump, catalytic converter, etc) had to replace said equipment if the car failed the test.

The lesson from this is - there may not be any emissions testing done on these bikes now, but that doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future.

Last edited by semiret; 07-22-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyace13
I sent my head pipe to American Custom. They removed the CAT and refinished. It was fast and about half of what a new head pipe would be. Good people. An option to consider. I also picked up a set of FuelMoto Jackpot slip-ons from a forum member. I'll install this weekend and report back.
You'll love the sound of the Jackpots. Best move I made in a long time. I was worried that they'd be loud but they're just right and deep too!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So far so good on my gutted cat.

~Joe

Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a few weeks back that our dealer recommended we get rid of the cat and substitute with gutted pipes. With no AC change and leaving stock mufflers he said the ECM would compensate. Warranty is not impacted.

We did that, 3500 k ago, bikes runs great. Plugs look great. Warranty intact.

2011 CVO RG

Old 07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
husky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cross talk is total BS. Just like ADD, eggs are bad for you, "it is what it is", "its all good". Someone came up with that saying and it sounds good. But there is no credible evidence period. All these members that post they have great results with gutted cats must be a conspiracy.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
Lots of people here have gutted their stock head pipe with absolutely no issues including myself. The crosstalk some talk about is complete BS. Some of us are on a budget and gutting the stock head pipe is lots cheaper than buying a $450 head pipe. The gains with an aftermarket head pipe are minimal at best. The stock head pipe functions great without the CAT. It's a good design. It cost me $25 to get it welded back together plus the cost of new exhaust gaskets. So for less than $50 you have a great head pipe. If you have $450 laying around then by all means buy a new one.
I just gutted my headpipe last week and all I did was call V/H and get a new map for the Fuelpak. Went on a 280 mile ride on Wed, bike ran awesome( BTW I had already done stage one before the "operation").Like posted, I paid $40 for the tools to do it myself and $25 for the guy at Midas to weld it up. $65 total vs. $400 for a new pipe!! No brainer. I just paid for my new oil cooler.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: De-cat headpipe or buy aftermarket