Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-cat headpipe or buy aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Then I got lucky cuz it worked like a charm for me and runs sweeeet......granted removing the cat is not considered an exhaust mod and, I did not touch the air cleaner. You should be able to change the exhaust leaving the AC alone on a newer bike and the 02 sensors will take care of the small differance.

Running the oem mufflers?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

My experience was positive and zero problems with my Ultra after cutting the cat out of the stock pipe. Runs cooler, better performance and improved sound. Took about an hour to remove the pipe. Had the local machine shop cut the pipe in half, took it home and removed the cat, then back to the machine shop to have it welded back together. Total cost, $35.00, and part of an afternoon. I figure I saved over $400.00 vs buying a new head pipe. Would do it again without giving it a second thought.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:50 PM
road glide o8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
I really can't comment about any performance gain with what I did since it was done at the 1K service, but it is very much cooler than before. Here in south AL in the summer, getting rid of excess heat is important for rider comfort and what I believe to be engine health. Wish I knew how to weld and had the equipment, but I don't so went with the V&H set-up. Happy with it and the sound also
i also live in south alabama....and my pipes get super hot in traffic....

thought of checking into de-cat pipes...or if bought new head pipes like you have...what cost am i looking at... i run cyclone slip ons.. i like them but would like more sound and deeper sound kind of like rhineharts...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Crypto55
Stage II
Default De-Cat or After market head pipe?

My recommendation is to buy an After market head pipe!!
I have removed the cat from 2 differerent bikes, one worked perfect, after I went through a lot of trial and error, selecting the right amount of back pressure (by modifying the baffles in the factory slip-ons).
The other is now back on the drawing board, after having trouble with what I beleive is o2 sensor crosstalk.
After significant searching, I bought & just received a Fullsac X-Pipe. I will be installing it starting tomorrow. Heat is one of the main determining factors in my decision to buy from Steve, at Fullsac. The X-Pipe is Ceramic Coated!!
I'll keep you posted!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Removing the CAT didn't cause your problem, modifying the stock slip on baffles is what caused your issue. I have yet to see an issue in my area by just removing the CAT.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
RAYCE_FLHP13
Tourer

If you're close to southeast texas I'll decat it for 50 bux!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Crypto55
Stage II

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Removing the CAT didn't cause your problem, modifying the stock slip on baffles is what caused your issue. I have yet to see an issue in my area by just removing the CAT.
You Are Correct!
But! My idea of a GREAT LOOKING MOTORCYCLE is One that has a GREAT SOUND! (Not Just Loud!). To get some of that sound out, you have to open it up a little!

BTW!
I have looked at a lot of the Tuners on the market. In the technique they use to modify the Fuel Injection. My opinion is, The Best Tuner money can buy is the TTS Mastertune.
And, if you make any changes to the exhaust system on your EFI Harley; Get all the performance you deserve, by replacing that very restrictive air cleaner with a high flow air cleaner and Invest in a TTS Mastertune setup. You absolutley won't believe how much difference a well tuned VTwin can make in you Ride!