Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the trottle grip

Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karbar99
NOPE, Wrong, not talking a glue on grip. These new left hand side grips seat in "one" position only. Look up grips on the HD site for the OP's 2011 then click on installation instructions, then read about the left grip install.
Left side first unless you don't care to match them in the event the grip purchased has a rotating pattern.

Not sure what you're talking about on the right side having a 90 degree twist as the right side (TBW) grip can be installed at any 360 degrees.
Okay -- But I've not used those grips. Mine (even on my '11) glued on. And on the right grip, I'm talking about the spacing of the teeth. You can't "fine tune" it -- I think there's a notch every 15 degrees (24 teeth) -- So there are only 6 positions it could wind up in over any 90-degree span.

And in any case, if the new ones don't glue on (and therefore aren't "semi-permanent), then it really doesn't matter too much which one goes on first, as they can be adjusted afterward.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 07-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the non glued grips on my 2012 ...real easy to change and if you decide to change bars you dont loose the left side ..

Last edited by Tele00; 07-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
+1 Ask me how I know.
i have to ask.. how do u know ??

Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by dallen
I have a 2011 Ultra Limited with an electronic trottle. When I change the trottle grip is there any special steps to take to adjust the electronic trottle when I put the trottle side switch housing back together?
Here's a video on Kuryakyn's site that takes you through the process. Good Luck

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Video-Center...intVideoID=120

Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Krow
Tourer

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
... in any case, if the new ones don't glue on (and therefore aren't "semi-permanent), then it really doesn't matter too much which one goes on first, as they can be adjusted afterward.
No, that's not correct. It wouldn`t matter I suppose if you replaced them with non-OEM glue-on grips but I bought the Get-a-Grips and they are non-glue. I don't know if other HD grips are like that or not. On the G-A-Gs, the left one has a raised shoulder/cam on half its circumference that fits under the control housing and keeps it from rotating on the bar. It will fit in one position only - there is NO adjustment. That's why it doesn't have to be glued - it's locked by the housing and can't slip off or rotate. Subsequently, if you want to match the two, the right one has to be done afterwards because it's the only one that has any adjustment in rotation.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 PM
karbar99
Club Member

And in any case, if the new ones don't glue on (and therefore aren't "semi-permanent), then it really doesn't matter too much which one goes on first, as they can be adjusted afterward.
That's what I thought, you didn't do as mentioned so I've done it for ya!

Here ya go
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04258.pdf

Old 07-30-2011, 01:12 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

No, I did do as you mentioned. My point is that you can adjust it (the throttle grip) after the fact. Something you can't do with a glue-on left grip. I don't see what the big deal is.

And on top of all this --- The guy never mentioned if he's using a non-glued HD grip or one of so many glue-on left grips that so many of us use. In which case, he'd undoubtedly want to install the right grip first.

So can we let it go already...?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 AM
karbar99
Club Member

No, I did do as you mentioned. My point is that you can adjust it (the throttle grip) after the fact. Something you can't do with a glue-on left grip. I don't see what the big deal is.

And on top of all this --- The guy never mentioned if he's using a non-glued HD grip or one of so many glue-on left grips that so many of us use. In which case, he'd undoubtedly want to install the right grip first.

So can we let it go already...?
No, your point was, "I'd do the opposite -- The left grip can twist during install to match the right."and the OP never said anything like "he'd undoubtedly want to install the right grip first."

Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 AM
reh13
Road Master

Originally Posted by cochon
No, you do not need to replace the heated grips with heated grips. My hands seldom get cold so I decided to forego buying heated grips. I simply bought Kury ISO grips (unheated). I put heat shrink over the ends of the heater wires inside the handlebars, then to be double sure I wrapped the wires with electric tape. The Kurys went on without a problem. I now have 1600 miles on these without a complaint.
Nice to know...thanks

Old 07-30-2011, 12:15 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by karbar99
No, your point was, "I'd do the opposite -- The left grip can twist during install to match the right."and the OP never said anything like "he'd undoubtedly want to install the right grip first."
Jesse Cripes...

OKAY --- Can we just leave it at *IF* he's installing one of several HD non-glue grips he should install the left one first and *IF* he's installing one of several NON-HD glued grips he should install the right one first?

Will that stop this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change the trottle grip