Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning issue or suggestions after installing cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tuning issue or suggestions after installing cams?

I posted this over in the Tech section but am not getting any bites.

Installed Woods 555 cams from Fuelmoto this weekend in a 2010 Fatboy lo and an 08 EG Std.

ON the Fatboy I Loaded provided PCV tune from Jamie and that thing runs like a champ. Lopey idle and sounds fantastic. He was running Vance & Hines Twin slash pipes w/ SE intake prior to the cams.

Sunday morning I installed the same setup PCV, 555 Cams and adjustable lifters in a 2008 Electraglide Std. Stock headpipe with V&H slip-ons and SE intake prior to the cams. It runs quieter, has noticeably more power but has a slight physical "pulse or surge" to it when riding. A bit more shake at idle than the already paint shaker of the A motor.

The only thing I can think of is the stock pre '09 exhaust has that damn Y split behind the rear cylinder. I imagine there's a tq or HP loss on the rear cylinder causing the pulse.

Is it possible to tune this out? Or should he spend more $$ and switch to True duals of some sort? I think the pre '09's are more limited in exhaust choices due to the oil pan routing.

He's emailing Jamie tomorrow but I'm trying to help him out as much as possible. Sturgis in 2 weeks and i'm pretty sure that pulse isn't good for the bearings and drivetrain.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Maybe I should have posed this question instead. Has anyone had a set of the pre-09 pipes dyno tuned or installed a PCV on them? Is it possible to get decent performance out of that rear cylinder?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call fuel moto tell them they will send you another map to try i tried 3 or for maps before i found one i thought was right

Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

Installed another map tonight. He says it seems better. Prior to the map it sounded like an old carbed motor barely getting enough gas to stay running.. will see how it pans out for him. Ultimately he needs to spend a few bucks and put some headers on the thing. Then he can probably get a more accurate map.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM
reese
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up the map and identify where the bad range is. Someone here can advise how / where to adjust. That's what an AutoTune module does and they do work but you can do it manually ( at least to help to get the bad spot better).

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master

here's the 3 maps that the latest tune had on it. Still not sure how it's running compared to before since he needs to get it out on the highway for a bit to tell. It IS 100 degrees with pure Midwest humidity now however. I'm sure it will feel allot better once the temps drop a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Tuning issue or suggestions after installing cams?-cylinder-1.jpg   Tuning issue or suggestions after installing cams?-cylinder2.jpg   Tuning issue or suggestions after installing cams?-advance.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The only thing I can think of is the stock pre '09 exhaust has that damn Y split behind the rear cylinder. I imagine there's a tq or HP loss on the rear cylinder causing the pulse.
Don't knock it, that's actually one of the better functioning exhaust systems. With a good set of slip-ons there aren't many systems that will perform better. Just a thought, sorry I had no input on your tuning problem.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe something direct from dynojet?

http://www.dynojet.com/PowerVision/P...96&AEngS=096ci

Last edited by mgmmgm; 07-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 232 Likes on 144 Posts

Jamie's tunes are far better than a canned tune from Dynojet, keep trying & as said the problem isn't in the exhaust.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I changed cams on my 06EG with a pc3 and went through the whole try a map, tweak it, try another-drove me nuts but the bike ran pretty good. Then pulled the trigger and had it dyno tuned and boy what a difference. Runs so much better, more power across the board and better fuel mileage. I'm a believer in puttin the thing on a dyno.