Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Best quality "off the shelf" synthetic oil (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/672297-best-quality-off-the-shelf-synthetic-oil.html)

m361 07-31-2011 07:40 PM

Best quality "off the shelf" synthetic oil

Title pretty much sums it up. I'd love to go with Redline or Amsoil, but honestly I'd prefer something a bit more readily available. Unfortunately my schedule is pretty busy, so I don't usually have time to pre-order what I need. When I find the time to get the oil changed, I just want to run over to the local auto parts store and grab what I need. Is HD Synthetic as good as any other "off the shelf" brand? Do auto parts stores even carry oil filters for HD's?

I was just thinking that I should probably find the time to change the oil soon. I've only ran a bit over 3k on this oil, but at least half of those miles have been in 90+ temps.

dawg 07-31-2011 07:42 PM

I run Mobil1 often.

69cj 07-31-2011 07:45 PM

As stated, Mobil 1 V twin 20W50..

m361 07-31-2011 07:49 PM

Cool, I'll get some of that. When you guys run Mobil1, do you go 5k between changes?

Also, are off brand oil filters available at auto parts stores for HD's or is that an stealership only item?

1flhtk4me 07-31-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by m361 (Post 8640022)
Cool, I'll get some of that. When you guys run Mobil1, do you go 5k between changes?

Also, are off brand oil filters available at auto parts stores for HD's or is that an stealership only item?

Mobil 1 here also.Changed at 5000 miles.
HD filter for me.

FlaDresser 07-31-2011 08:01 PM

Something interesting to watch... I run M1 VT and last oil change Wallyworld was out. So I checked my local auto parts store and found it for about $1 more a qt. Looking closer I realized that this oil was so old that it was SH when I believe the current rating is SJ. Holly cow... how old does that make it? At least Wally sells enough to keep the supply fresh. I don't think oil has a shelf life, but...

Also, I like the K&N oil filter that has the nut molded on the top making it easy and clean to remove. Unfortunately I have to order them but the auto parts place gets them in 1 day, so I just call them 1 day and pick it up the next.

Punjabi Rider 07-31-2011 08:01 PM

Mobil 1 15-50 reg motor oil in fair weather and Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 in summer months.

iclick 07-31-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by m361 (Post 8639980)
...I just want to run over to the local auto parts store and grab what I need. Is HD Synthetic as good as any other "off the shelf" brand? Do auto parts stores even carry oil filters for HD's?

Sigh! I just love oil threads. :icon_dance-tap:

HD Syn3 is an average synthetic oil, nothing exceptional except its obscenely high price making it perhaps the worst bargain available. The best bargain in the marketplace is Mobil 1 15w50 in 5-qt. jugs at Walmart for <$25. Walmart quit selling it for a while but popular demand has it returning to the shelves. Take your pick, as any oil that's 20w50 or close (15w50, 20w60, etc.) is fine in a Harley engine.

m361 07-31-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by iclick (Post 8640081)
Sigh! I just love oil threads. :icon_dance-tap:

HD Syn3 is an average synthetic oil, nothing exceptional except its obscenely high price making it perhaps the worst bargain available. The best bargain in the marketplace is Mobil 1 15w50 in 5-qt. jugs at Walmart for <$25. Walmart quit selling it for a while but popular demand has it returning to the shelves. Take your pick, as any oil that's 20w50 or close (15w50, 20w60, etc.) is fine in a Harley engine.

I appreciate your suggestions, as well as everyone elses. Thats the great thing about this forum. Within minutes of asking a question, I get numerous educated suggestions from experienced riders. When so many different responses are the same or very similar, I know I am getting good advice. Thanks everyone.

02FLTR 07-31-2011 08:18 PM

I've run Mobil V twin 3 or 4 times, but the only store that carried it around me started having limited quantities. Like 2-3 qts on hand. So it started to become easier to run SYN 3 since I was going to the dealer for the filter anyway. I'll go back to Mobil in a second if it really is better oil than the SYN 3. But, so far they seem to perform the same.