Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How best to pack for overnight road trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default How best to pack for overnight road trip

Taking my 1st overnight road trip, going about 500 miles away, staying in motels at night, so I am trying to figure out how to pack everything smartly. I have saddlebag liners that I could use, but current thinking is to leave them at home.

Right side: rain gear rolled up in two separate rolls along with my first aid kit, and spare parts which I keep in a 1 lb plastic coffee can. The coffee can has spare bulbs, fuses, spark plugs, locktite and 1 saddlebag quick release pin.

Left side: my tools, sneakers and a shirt packed in a baggy, my shaving & toilet dobb kit, and a face shield in case it rains.

My tour pack has my misc stuff but needs to be able to store my helmet, gloves, goggles, and jacket or vest.

So can't figure out how not to carry some HD luggage either in my passenger seat or on my tour pack luggage rack for my jeans, shorts, skivies, shirts and socks.

If I put all my clothes in the saddlebag liner, then my other stuff may be too heavy on that side.

What do others do?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep all my old underwear and socks for trips.....wear them once n throw them out!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I keep all my riding gear (rain suit, jacket, chaps,etc) split between the saddle bags. Gloves and other small stuff in the lowers glove boxes. I roll up a complete change of clothes ( socks, drawers,pants,shirt) together for each day and stuff them in a waterproof sack with a drawstring. That and shaving kit go in the tour pac with room left over for the half-helmet.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I UPS my clothes to where I need them..

Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you go it covered. Remember to roll what you can, saves a lot of room. Enjoy and Be Safe JIM

Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if I couldn't figure out how to pack for an overnight trip.... I'd just stay home....

BUT - that's just me.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

when you get to the hotel....tell the girl at the desk you need a toothbrush, razor, tooth paste and shave cream (or use their shampoo/conditioner to shave with). No need to pack what they provide.
You going 'over night' by yourself? And can't pack everything in three bags? Sounds like you may be over packing...
but enjoy the ride.

Chuck

Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Don't over think it. It's one night. Check the weather before you leave, one change of clothes, cash or a credit card. You got a cold beer?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

seriously dude - shaving kit w/ TB, TP, and razor. hotel has the rest.

you need ONE rolled shirt, jeans, socks, and drawers. that's it. then your rain ****, and some tools/parts.

sounds like that coffee can takes up a ton of room. whats wrong with a small bag?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just 500 miles away, take a days worth of clothes, rain gear and ride, 500 one way ain't nothing that calls for huge plans.

Quick Reply: How best to pack for overnight road trip