Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Frame Heat Shields: Which One Works Best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mid-Frame Heat Shields: Which One Works Best?

I have found several options for relieving the rider/passenger of the heat generated by the rear jug:

Kuryakyn AirMaster Reflective Smoke Saddle Shields
Captain Itch Crotch Cooler
HD Mid-Frame Air Deflector
National Cycle TC96 Heat Shield

All of the above-named options are priced in the $70 range, so which one offers the best relief?

Thanks, guys.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Look at http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

They work and look great on my RK but cost more than $70

Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 AM
assaultthesalt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Thunderheader 2 into 1 exhaust along w/ the crotch cooler from Capt Itch will solve the heat problem !

Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I would never knock someone else s product and I am not here to start a pissing contest but I can tell you some facts..
First off we travel and set up at quite a few rally's so all of this is first hand experience..
Kuryakyn is made from plastic,it gets brittle and can crack.To install you secure it with brackets and screws in to the frame and then through the plastic..I have removed plenty that have had missing belts,and or cracks where the bolts were over tightened and broke the shield..
HD AIR DEFLECTORS as I have never installed these we have removed plenty.They are a pain in the butt,with the bolts being very difficult to remove.They are also plastic.
I will tell you that our Crotch Coolers have a bigger foot print and work very well..They do not come with any mounting hardware because none is needed,no bolts,brackets,or zip ties..You lift your seat up and it holds our crotch cooler in place a very simple instillation in almost every case..
We have sold thousands of our Crotch Coolers over the years and have some very satisfied customers,we are here to help you with any questions or problems that you may have..We are a very small company making all of our products by hand here in Tennessee except for our ugly goggles that we sell..If we can help you out just give us a call..

Old 08-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Bill in NewHampshire
Novice
Thumbs up

I have the Capt. Itch Crotch Cooler and agree 100% with the above statement. Works well on my '05 RKC.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

+1 on RJ Originals. When I was purchasing I didn't know about Captian Itch's product and would have looked at it but very happy with the RJ's product.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Look at http://www.rjsoriginals.com/

They work and look great on my RK but cost more than $70
Originally Posted by TexasVet
+1 on RJ Originals. When I was purchasing I didn't know about Captian Itch's product and would have looked at it but very happy with the RJ's product.
The RJ Originals may be a fine product, but I interntionally omitted them from my short list because they are cost prohibitive for me, at 2X the cost!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I will tell you that our Crotch Coolers have a bigger foot print and work very well..They do not come with any mounting hardware because none is needed,no bolts,brackets,or zip ties..You lift your seat up and it holds our crotch cooler in place a very simple instillation in almost every case..
We have sold thousands of our Crotch Coolers over the years and have some very satisfied customers,we are here to help you with any questions or problems that you may have..
Thanks for reaching out, Captain. I will certainly take a closer look at your Crotch Cooler.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

The Captn. Itch Crotch Cooler was the best heat problem solver for me I can't believe how much it eliminates for me and the little lady.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Thanks for reaching out, Captain. I will certainly take a closer look at your Crotch Cooler.
Like I said if we can help answer any questions just Holler..

Quick Reply: Mid-Frame Heat Shields: Which One Works Best?