Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 pint low still oil puke?? Oil Pump alingment???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1 pint low still oil puke?? Oil Pump alingment???

Still getting oil puking out of the bypass going into my throttle body and i have been running it a half quart low. I dont ride hard and am using Redline 20w 50 oil. I did do a cam upgrade and wondering how the whole oil pump alingment thing works. I did the procedure according to the manual but am not sure if this is my problem. I did however notice that the bypass is alot less with the 1 pint missing but not totally gone. Maybe I am asking to much but thouht this would solve the problem entirely, could someone with experience please advise on any other symptoms associated with oil pump alingment or another possible cause.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STOP oil blowby mist, PERIOD! click HERE

Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

thats a lot of dough for oil mist.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have gone round and round with oil puke problem, tried the mist free - didn't work out for me, put the filters back in the breather modules - didn't help either. Most recently drilled the back plate (SE backplate with a zipper air filter) for brass hose fittings, plugged the backplate holes and ran the hose to the ground, and it still does it, at almost a quart low. Someone said its the 251 cam duration holding the intake valve open during the upstroke (they called it fuel reversion) but that doesn't really add up since the rings are new and the HD oil pump is, according to the shop, I think I trust, is aligned. Also heard the vacuum capacity needs to be higher, like a new Feuling oil pump............I think I'll just keep my rag to wipe it off..........oh and the hose to the ground just throws it back down the muffler at highway speeds. I ran the hose just past the oil filter mount, may try to take it toward the back some how.....what a pain

Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keith t
I have gone round and round with oil puke problem, tried the mist free - didn't work out for me, put the filters back in the breather modules - didn't help either. Most recently drilled the back plate (SE backplate with a zipper air filter) for brass hose fittings, plugged the backplate holes and ran the hose to the ground, and it still does it, at almost a quart low. Someone said its the 251 cam duration holding the intake valve open during the upstroke (they called it fuel reversion) but that doesn't really add up since the rings are new and the HD oil pump is, according to the shop, I think I trust, is aligned. Also heard the vacuum capacity needs to be higher, like a new Feuling oil pump............I think I'll just keep my rag to wipe it off..........oh and the hose to the ground just throws it back down the muffler at highway speeds. I ran the hose just past the oil filter mount, may try to take it toward the back some how.....what a pain

I installed one of these on the frame below my passenger floorboard >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bille...item1c1db78578

Black one >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black...item48411067ee

Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody seems to think "blow by" is caused by too much oil and/or lugging the motor and that may be true in a lot of cases, but not all. I'm still looking for an answer. I've contacted MOCO about the issue and have yet to get a response.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess i should stop complaining about it I dont have near as much as you all have described. I know that the manual states if you have excess oil in the system it will cause this and possibly damage the engine. I think the reason they put it so dramatically is due to the TMAP sensor being covered by oil and not functioning properly thus causing driveability issues. One thing is for certain this is not "normal" that system is meant to vent excess pressure out of the case thru the intake kind of like a positive pressure venting system found on regular engines. Just a bad design by Harley I guess.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you did not have this problem prior to the cam change, I would suspect your oil pump alignment. I aligned mine using the pins and rotating the pump as I tightened them.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
cooper57M
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for post # 8. change all three o rings and realign oil pump. KISS

Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It has nothing to do with the oil level

You need to run the bike at higher rpms and the 'misting problem goes away. Don't run the bike below 2700 rpms. Most guys that have this problem all seem to run the bike the same way. Chug around at low rpm and the engine has too little vacuum and can't digest the oil coming out of the breather like it's supposed to.

Quick Reply: 1 pint low still oil puke?? Oil Pump alingment???