Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S 106" build review

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
cfabrizio
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S 106" build review

I have recently bumped up the motor on my 2010 Street Glide from the 96" to a 106" using S&S's big bore kit. I am not a bike mechanic but I do have a small idea of how things work. This is just a generic write up of my observations of the new build to hopefully help someone that is on the fence. Here we go....

New Motor Upgrades:
S&S 106" Big Bore Kit
Adjustable Push Rods
Fueling Oil Pump- High Volume
Variable Pressure Clutch
S&S 551 easy start cams
Fueling HP Lifters
New Plugs
Oil Cooler

Previous Stage 1 Build:
V&H True Dual Headers
Carriage Works 4" Tornado Slip Ons
Performance Machine Air Cleaner
Thunder Max w/Auto Tune

I just finished my 500 mile break-in of varying RPMs, easy acceleration, and nothing above 3k on the tach. I have had the chance to "get into it" a couple of times and all I can say is WOW!!

All of the parts from S&S look good and clean and match the black of the stock motor. There is a slight difference in the shape of the heads as compared to stock but nothing alarming. If you looked at the motor you wouldn't know there are any upgrades unless you looked very closely.

The easy start cams are just as they say. When I had stock cams there were times that the starter would lock up or strain, I am assuming this was due to the position things were in when the bike was shut down. When starting the bike now there is no pulsing of the bike, strain of the starter, or knocking sound. It is a smooth cycle all the way to turn over. There are times that initially I do here a minor "clink" noise which is the release on the cam falling into place. Again, nothing alarming. I am not sure if the every day person (not saying I am professional, I just have a tendency to hear and see things my friends do not) would pick up on it.

I was concerned about engine noise before I did the build. Some people have said that their engines were noisier and made for a less enjoyable ride. The motor does have a slight bit more noise, like a sewing machine sound, but again nothing that is annoying or takes away from the riding experience. You know its there if you listen for it but nothing that is constantly grabbing your attention.

The bike runs cooler and smoother than it did with the Stage 1 and a properly tuned tuner. Before the build the motor did not seem completely right. At first, I thought it was my tuner and map but after having it corrected and looked at a couple of times everything was perfect. The stock motor was missing a bit of punch. The bike is now cooler and smoother all the way around.

Now the performance....

The first time I heard the bike fire up I had a grin from ear to ear. The exhaust was a little louder but the main difference was that there was more of a pop or punch each time one of the pistons would hit. The exhaust before had a nice tone but was more of a flat rumble. Now it is more of a deep punch and rumble. The cam creates a minor loop adding to the distinct sound. When riding and I let off the throttle the bike sounds like it had a deep jake brake. It is fun but not annoying like a high pitched drag pipe.

The bike pulls strong off of the line all the way through. I have only had it up to about 4300 or so. I do not spend much time above that, the reason why I decided not to do head work and went with the 551 cams. I want all my torque early on. That may change in the future, in terms of head work. The bike revs quicker and feels as though I could pull a stump out of the ground if needed. When accelerating, from what ever gear, from around 2500 the bike sits down and goes. I was doing roll ons from 65mph in 6th gear to see what the bike would do and I was doing 75-80 in a blink of an eye.....smiling the whole time of course!! 75 to 90 was even quicker. Today I was riding back to DC from Delaware on back roads and seemed to hit every car that was doing 45-50 on a two lane road. When passing I never had to down shift and punch it but instead all I had to do was roll back on the throttle and hang on. Before when down shifting, I would have to really accelerate and at times it didn't feel like I was picking up speed but now I can pass with little effort. I had a LaPera solo seat on the bike but I had to switch to a Mustang solo. The problem was the LePera had a smooth finish and little rear support so when I would accelerate with the new upgrade I would really have to hang on to keep me from sliding off of the rear of the bike.

My gas milage has not really been effected on the highway, I get around 200-220 to the tank, varies from cruising at 70 or 85. I do notice a big difference in city riding or if I am riding hard. With the stock motor, I would get around 180 to the tank in the city and I was riding hard. I now get around 150-160 with the new build.

All in all this was a great build. I was up in the air on whether to do the motor or cosmetics. I decided to do the cosmetics first, done this summer, and was planning on doing the motor next summer. I said F--IT and did one right after the other. I can't believe I was going to wait to do this. This build was without a doubt some of the best money spent. It has taken an already great riding experience and made it just that much better. Words can not explain how much more enjoyable it is to ride. Anyone on the fence, my advise....DON'T WAIT TO DO IT!

The build which includes all of the gaskets and seals was around 2600.00 I did not dyno the bike because I have the auto tune and I am happy with with the way it performs. I am not worried about bragging rights, throwing out numbers at a d*ck measuring contest, or mine is bigger than yours. I just wanted a bike that would perform better than what it was with more torque...I got what I wanted.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (04-26-2020)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
hondo1
Tourer

I too am very pleased with my 106. She runs like a scalded dog and I could not be more pleased.

Big Red

Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I am going to do the 106 but cant deceide which cam to use. I wish the 106 was more popular so I could find more reading. my indy is recomending the 585 but ive had them with head work in a bagger and hated it. Thanks for the review and it sounds like a great build. Enjoy it, hopefully I figure out what cam to run (570, 551, 583???) . Thanks again!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by pittz5
I wish the 106 was more popular so I could find more reading. my indy is recomending the 585 but ive had them with head work in a bagger and hated it.
I have an S&S motor with a 585 cam which seems fine to me. Dead flat torque curve, 101HP/107TQ. What did you not like about it?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write up thanks.

Sounds perfect for my Road King

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the write up - good job...enjoy your motor!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master

Sounds like a nice build.I would still recommend having it dyno tuned with something better than auto tune.Enjoy the bike & build!! It's food for thought.The tune is not for bragging rights,it's to get the motor to run at it's optimal performance!!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Peekon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used the S&S cylinder piston kit when i did mine. I used the Bob Woods TW-555 cams. LOVE EM. I also have head work by zippers.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have an S&S motor with a 585 cam which seems fine to me. Dead flat torque curve, 101HP/107TQ. What did you not like about it?

It seemed I always had to be above 3200 rpms to have the power I wanted. It was a dog when cruising down the highway. Keep in mind it was a built 95 with headwork. Maybe its a completely different animal in the 106. Dont get me wrong, once I was in the cam it was a monster, I just dont want to cruise at 32-3500 rpm. I also always had lots detonation. No one could tune out of the pinging. Had 3 different tuners do it with no luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a good build, thanks for the write up, I'm 90% sure that I'm going with the FM 07, but I still keep tabs on the others, just in case.

Quick Reply: S&S 106" build review