Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on color schemes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
um, search and read the post from last week about a guy who had a bike shipped from a dealer...when the bike was not what was represented it got quite complicated

no matter where you are- there is a great bike for sale within 20 miles.

look close. go see it.

the first one is an ultra classic, the second is a 2011 Ultra Limited with the 103". similar root beer colors but the design is "flip flopped".

The advantage of going to see bikes is that in time you will be better able to determine what you are looking at- and that experience is very helpful when you are looking to drop 15 or 20 grand on a toy

colors are introduced and retired all the time to make exciting a new product that is very similar to last years.--- been doing it a long time, my '53 is a special '53 only color- then '54 has a special color available too. Both are pretty much the same as a 1949 model.

09- when you think about it- the 2012 models are out---that is a THREE year old bike, not 1 year

mike
Very true. BTW when I said a 1 year old bike I meant if it was a 2011. 24K miles is a lot for a 1 year old bike

Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

I am going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask for the vin #. Something is not right and the vin # is not in any of his ads

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
I am wondering if it is the 2010 limited but was purchased on 2009 when the model was 1st introduced?
No - see link in my first post for 2010 color schemes.

Dark Root Beer over Light Root Beer is a 2011 choice (when I first looked at your original post, I thought it was Black over Root Beer, but at second glance, it looks like it could be Dark over Light Root Beer). http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ited.html#/pnw

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Just spoke to the dealer and ran the vin number. It is definitely an 09 bike but neither of us can figure out why it has the 2011 limited paint scheme and tank emblem. The dealer has called the previous owner and will call me back once they talk to him. This whole thing is weird.....

Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

The one in the top picture is a 2009 ultra . I've got one. Called the motor company they only made 851 in this color. The other is a limited and they didn't make them in 2009, Kept us up dated, I can't believe the limited comes back as an 2009 ? I get alot of complements with my 2009
JONNIEROCK

Last edited by JONNIEROCK; 08-24-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Rock yes those are pics I copied and pasted. Problem is they are advertising an 09 ultra with the color scheme of the 2nd bike, which as you say, is a limited. Did that make that color on the limited in 09?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll bet the bottom picture is not the bike that will be delivered if you bought it.
I would run from this deal unless you go down there in person.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I'll bet the bottom picture is not the bike that will be delivered if you bought it.
I would run from this deal unless you go down there in person.

Ads have the wrong pictures all the time.
And nobody is worse than used car dealers. And they can get away with this by making sure they have the correct "stock" number (which means nothing to anybody but them) in the ad.

I would never spend that kind of money without seeing in person what I am buying.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

Talked with the dealer again just now. Apparently this was a new ultra classic in 09. Original color was 2 tone sunglo/gold. In 2011 they upgraded the engine to the 103 screaming eagle and stage 1 exhaust. Dealer now has all receipts from HD to back this up. But no one can explain how it changed colors. Best we can figure is the original owner bought the kit and changed out the colors. The dealership said those can be bought as kits for $3,500 so since he had upgraded the engine he bought the limited sheet metal and changed out the colors. I will have a much better idea tomorrow but if the colors check out as authentic I could end up with a much more expensive bike than what I paid for.

But I am going to need to see paperwork and if I need to fly there to see it then I will.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
Talked with the dealer again just now. Apparently this was a new ultra classic in 09. Original color was 2 tone sunglo/gold. In 2011 they upgraded the engine to the 103 screaming eagle and stage 1 exhaust. Dealer now has all receipts from HD to back this up. But no one can explain how it changed colors. Best we can figure is the original owner bought the kit and changed out the colors. The dealership said those can be bought as kits for $3,500 so since he had upgraded the engine he bought the limited sheet metal and changed out the colors. I will have a much better idea tomorrow but if the colors check out as authentic I could end up with a much more expensive bike than what I paid for.

But I am going to need to see paperwork and if I need to fly there to see it then I will.
If the guy bought a factory paint set for $3500, that doesn't mean it'll add anything to the value of the bike. Trade value will be the same.

Quick Reply: Question on color schemes