Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Drive Cam Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 AM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Drive Cam Kits?

Anyone have any feedback on these? I was told it adds 8-10hp, stock valve springs acceptable, increases valve timing by eliminating timing CHAIN lash and loosely fit stock chain drive. The kit i was looking at includes: cams, inner gears, outer gears, inner and outer bearings and gaskets, and recommends adjustable pushrods be used. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:26 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

power gains ( or losses) would be due to the cams, not the drive system.

gear drives are considered to be more precise in cam ( and therefore valve) timing and wear longer.

A chain may stretch, there are tensioners & all the things you mention. ( but I gotta bunch of old Chevs and Caddy's in the yard, all with chain drive cams, so... maybe this isn't an issue)

the cons are cost & noise.

the adjustable pushrods are for ease of install.

On a H-D motor the solid pushrods are installed with the heads off.
It is common when doing just cam or lifter service to lift the pushrod covers and cut the pushrods with a bolt cutter ( rags used to catch any shards)- the adjustables are 2 piece, so the 2 pieces can be slide up and down into place, joined in the middle where the adjustment hardware is, and set to spec.

solid pushrods are often considered more precise, and sometimes swapped in later in the same motor has the heads off for any reason.

the adjustables save the cost of top end gaskets and the removal of the tank, intake heads and etc. etc. ( but they may go out of adjustment if the jam nut backs off - occasionally happens)

That's probably why the kit suggests them.

2.) If I were looking at replacing the cam drive on my bike ( talking about the drive system, separate from the cams) --- I would probably go with a gear set if from a well known source ( S&S for instance) and the cost was no more than 40% more for the parts ( 'cause the labour would be the same pretty much for either gear drive system)

again performance claims would be for what the cams do, not how they are driven.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-30-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I am not mistaken, your crank runout is much more critical when using gear drive. I think the HD spec is around 10 thousands and for gear drive cams it is in the 3 to 4 thousands range. So you may not even have the option unless you want to do some crank and flywheel work.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 AM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually they had a booth in Sturgis and It took 10 times the strength to turn the chain drive with the lil plastic guide than it did the gear drive.
Originally Posted by mkguitar
power gains ( or losses) would be due to the cams, not the drive system.

gear drives are considered to be more precise in cam ( and therefore valve) timing and wear longer.

A chain may stretch, there are tensioners & all the things you mention. ( but I gotta bunch of old Chevs and Caddy's in the yard, all with chain drive cams, so... maybe this isn't an issue)

the cons are cost & noise.

the adjustable pushrods are for ease of install.

On a H-D motor the solid pushrods are installed with the heads off.
It is common when doing just cam or lifter service to lift the pushrod covers and cut the pushrods with a bolt cutter ( rags used to catch any shards)- the adjustables are 2 piece, so the 2 pieces can be slide up and down into place, joined in the middle where the adjustment hardware is, and set to spec.

solid pushrods are often considered more precise, and sometimes swapped in later in the same motor has the heads off for any reason.

the adjustables save the cost of top end gaskets and the removal of the tank, intake heads and etc. etc. ( but they may go out of adjustment if the jam nut backs off - occasionally happens)

That's probably why the kit suggests them.

2.) If I were looking at replacing the cam drive on my bike ( talking about the drive system, separate from the cams) --- I would probably go with a gear set if from a well known source ( S&S for instance) and the cost was no more than 40% more for the parts ( 'cause the labour would be the same pretty much for either gear drive system)

again performance claims would be for what the cams do, not how they are driven.

mike

Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been told that you can run larger cams with the gear drives because the cams rotate different than the chain drives(the lobes dont run together)

Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gear drive - less friction/more power - maintenance free

Last edited by 131tman; 09-30-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spur56
If I am not mistaken, your crank runout is much more critical when using gear drive. I think the HD spec is around 10 thousands and for gear drive cams it is in the 3 to 4 thousands range. So you may not even have the option unless you want to do some crank and flywheel work.
+1. Heard the same thing again and again. The key is to have have the runout checked before throwing money at a kit that may not work with the stock crank. Bet a lot of folks found that out the hard way

Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Lot of information but some of it is mileading.

On a H-D motor the solid pushrods are installed with the heads off. The adjustables save the cost of top end gaskets and the removal of the tank, intake heads and etc. etc. (but they may go out of adjustment if the jam nut backs off - occasionally happens)
Heads and intake do not have to be removed to install OEM pushrods; remove or just raise the tank. Just remove rocker boxes and loosen the rocker arm supports; the pushrods can be pulled from the top. Another 30 minutes of work but no hassle with adjusting pushrods and no worries about an adjustor nut coming loose. Rocker box gaskets can be re-used without issue.

I would probably go with a gear set if from a well known source ( S&S for instance)
Andrews makes all the gear drives, including the S&S gears.

I think the HD spec is around 10 thousands and for gear drive cams it is in the 3 to 4 thousands range.
The MoCo runout spec for warranty purposes was .003" until the '07 model year when it was increased to .012". .003" is the generally accepted rule of thumb as the max runout acceptable for gear drive cams. Some have been run at .0035"-.-004" but OS or US gears are required and the results may be a bit noisy. A set of gears intalled with proper lash on the inner and outer gears will be as quiet as the OEM chain drive setup.

Actually they had a booth in Sturgis and It took 10 times the strength to turn the chain drive with the lil plastic guide than it did the gear drive.
Smoke and mirrors. The parasitic drag on power from a set of gears is at least the same as a chain drive system; could be more. It is true that cam timing is more accurate but that doesn't translate into better dyno numbers. Maintaining accurate cam timing would be an issue if we could spin the TC motor to 12000rpms.

ive been told that you can run larger cams with the gear drives because the cams rotate different than the chain drives(the lobes dont run together)
the limiting factor on cam size is the case clearance on the inner lobe of the rear cam; doesn't matter which way the cams rotate in the cam chest.

Back in the day, before the upgraded hydraulic tensioner/roller chain setup, gears were the only alternative to the early spring loaded tensioner setup. However, the upgraded OEM cam drive system is soooooooo much easier to work with. Unless one is building a drag motor or a high compression, long cammed street motor, there really isn't any reason to install a gear drive system, unless you just want to. JMHO

Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 8-10 HP is a gross over exaggeration. Everything I've seen suggests closer to 3-4 HP freed up at most, by the reduced effort of running a chain.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottycameron
Anyone have any feedback on these? I was told it adds 8-10hp, stock valve springs acceptable, increases valve timing by eliminating timing CHAIN lash and loosely fit stock chain drive. The kit i was looking at includes: cams, inner gears, outer gears, inner and outer bearings and gaskets, and recommends adjustable pushrods be used. Thanks in advance!
I don't know about gear drive cams giving you more horsepower;but I know you need a true crank for the install.Your stock crank tolerances might not be good enough for the install.I'm running Woods TW 68G gear drives on my build.I do know that the opening & closing of the cams is more precise with gear drives!!!

Quick Reply: Gear Drive Cam Kits?