Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike sitting for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Use synthetic motor oil in the motor, use primary and tranny fluid in those. I use the H-D stuff.

Tires- very important you don't wanna tire coming apart on you on the highway.

do you live where the temperature swings and condensation can build up? may flush the brakes.

gas tank- ALWAYS store a tank all the way full or all the way empty ( and open)- otherwise condensation will form and it'll rust from the inside out

battery- always remove battery from a stored bike

start ups- Do NOT start the bike up for short periods while stored- yes it moves oil around- BUT it gets the cases just warm enough for condensation to form, and the cold motor will have blow by between the piston rings and cylinders, washing down the oil. The oil will not get hot enough to burn that off. the acids in th eoil and water will eat the bearings.

When I store vehicles, it's fresh oil in- spark plugs removed and oil added to cylinders. bike in gear, rotate the rear wheel to move fresh oil into the motor. raise tires up off floor, wax and cover.
Waking up, again oil in the cylinders, then use the rear wheel to get everything moving and oil to the top end.

remember that lifters need oil in them, so may be clatter on start up if dry.

mike

Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

I would be careful telling someone to remove the plugs and put oil in the cylinders put to much and put the plugs in hit the starter and ruin your day!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm with MK on the gas tank issue. I stored my bike one winter (Nov. - Mar.) with the gas tank half full. Didn't realize I had a problem until my bike died in the middle of a main thoroughfare...turns out the tank rusted from the gas level up and rust clogged my fuel filter. Final cost= a tow home and the pain in the *** to treat and coat the inside of my tank. Thankfully I learned this lesson during my sport bike days....never looked at one of those as my baby like I do now!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd seriously suggest renting a bike for the trip. Too many variables to jump on a three year idle bike and trust it for such a long trip. You're almost guaranteed to have problems. I'd like to hear a follow-up after your trip.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be selling tit and replacing with a bike that has been used and maintained.

my 2 cents

Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change fluids Check tires and suspension. Test ride it for 100 miles or so then Ride the hell out of it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
Change fluids Check tires and suspension. Test ride it for 100 miles or so then Ride the hell out of it.
Yeah that !.....Fill it full of premium and you'll be good to go. You don't need to cuddle it.....real motorcycles don't like that. Don't let the extremists get you shook.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just check the fluids and tire pressure. Based on your location, you probably have not had any temperature extremes. It's not like you have a "barn find". Three years is not all that long, I have seen "new" scooters on dealer's floors that long.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 08-23-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Yeah that !.....Fill it full of premium and you'll be good to go. You don't need to cuddle it.....real motorcycles don't like that. Don't let the extremists get you shook.
+1, to many want to make a major project out of it.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man What some buzzkills! Check the tires, I'd be most concerned with them. If it was stored in a garage in SoCal im bettin there is not a drastic change in temp in that garage so i wouldnt be too concerned with the fluids. If it looks good after your test ride, ride it like you stole it!

Quick Reply: Bike sitting for 3 years