Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike sitting for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Yeah that !.....Fill it full of premium and you'll be good to go. You don't need to cuddle it.....real motorcycles don't like that. Don't let the extremists get you shook.
There's the sensible answer, people on this forum tend to be a bunch of worry warts. My quess is you won't have a single problem, enjoy your ride!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
who?me?
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't see much said about the electrical connections. I would also disconnect the two grounds to the frame under the seat, clean, coat with dielectric grease and reconnect. I would also have to pull fuses and make sure they are not corroded. Connections to starter. Sitting for three years the electric connections will develop a layer of corrosion. Check all the other connections under the side pannels. New security fob batteries if you have security.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it ws ME....

Check the tires for rot......put gas in and go. Change the fluids when you get home.

It's been sitting inside and you have started it frequently enough that things work. If the tires are good...then just go. You have AAA and a cell phone if something goes wrong.

Sounds like a fun trip!

~Joe

Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change fluids. Perform pre ride inspection. Ride bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Ride it ad much as possible before trip.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!! Way too many overly cautious folks out there. But to each his/her own.

Fill the tank full of Premium, add a lil stabil, change all 3 holes, inflate and inspect tires. Everything else can be checked while you're out riding prior to your trip.

Enjoy and have a safe trip!!! Let us know how it went upon your return

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My biggest concern would be the tires. Give them a real close look. I had a bike sit two years and the tires were permanently bulged at one spot on the sidewall. Looked good other then that and it road with a slight vibration. Put the bike on a lift and roll the wheels while you watch them. Otherwise blast off after normal preride checks.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Nearly every post mentions inspecting the tires. Forget that; look on the side of the tire and find the date code to see how OLD the tire is. If it's more than 5 years old, you might want to consider getting fresh ones. I just changed a front tire and tube on my "new" shovel and was shocked at the condition it was in. It was a wonder it rolled without exploding. That bike had been sitting for 2 or 3 years after being ridden regularly for 30 years prior. No, it wasn't an original tire.

I would do a complete service on that bike and would also be riding it every day prior to the big trip in order to look for oil leaks that could pop up due to dried gaskets. My garage queen rescued Road King started leaking oil from the rocker box covers shortly after I got it. You don't want that on a long trip.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with "who?me?" definetly if you have a fob, get new batteries, I just can't imagine not riding a bike for 3 years, unless I had a bad accident or had to go away... hope that's not the case, but whatever, do all the checks, and fluids, get used to the bike before you attempt to ride anybody, and remember the cagers still see you as a target, ride safe and enjoy.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the tires also. Like, write a check and replace em. Piece of mind...

Quick Reply: Bike sitting for 3 years