Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Bought a Drag Specialties Battery for their Touring Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Bought a Drag Specialties Battery for their Touring Bike?

I'm thinking of buying a new battery real soon for my 05 EGC. A local indy sells Drag Specialties batteries. I just wonder what experience others have had with this brand of battery in their tourning bike?

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I haven't had any dealings with Drag Specialties, but I did replace my battery in July with an ETX30L from BatteryMart.com for under $100. shipped. HD wanted $170.

Last edited by soos; 08-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
I'm thinking of buying a new battery real soon for my 05 EGC. A local indy sells Drag Specialties batteries. I just wonder what experience others have had with this brand of battery in their tourning bike?

Thanks.
Well - my one and only experience with a Drag Specialties battery was when an indie put one in, it died 3 months later. The indie told me it was the "same" as a Harley battery and he certainly charged me the same.

Furthermore when I took it back they wisked it off to the back of the shop to load test it and then pronounced it "just fine" and suggested I have them fix my stator for $1000. I told them thanks but no thanks, went down the road, picked up a H-D battery and have had it ever since. There was nothing wrong with the stator. That was the last time anyone but me worked on my bike. The indie told me the battery was out of warranty so tough luck.

Personally I would only ever buy an H-D battery or one that I knew for a fact was made by the same company (I forget which company that is but someone here's bound to add that info. If not do a search).

(this was on my Fatboy - about 4 years ago).

Last edited by davessworks; 08-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

I had 2 bike batteries go south on me & here they cost over $170 for a gel. I went to Wal-mart & bought a $50 lawn tractor battery & dropped it in my right saddle bag. Loads of amps, Loads of reserve power & I can run highway lights for ever without my volt meter moving!
Hatch.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by soos
I haven't had any dealings with Drag Specialties, but I did replace my battery in July with an ETX30L from BatteryMart.com for under $100. shipped. HD wanted $170.
Hmmmm, the Big Crank battery from Battery Mart. Looks very interesting. Only $97.95 with free shipping. It appears to be the same battery as the Deka (which costs about $12 more), but I could be wrong about that.

Do I need to do anything special or take any special precautions in installing a battery in my 05 EGC? Any tips or advice? What do I do with the old battery?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

The Deka is rated at 650 CCA and the BC is rated at 400. I'm getting a Deka in the spring.

Originally Posted by Chas63
Hmmmm, the Big Crank battery from Battery Mart. Looks very interesting. Only $97.95 with free shipping. It appears to be the same battery as the Deka (which costs about $12 more), but I could be wrong about that.

Do I need to do anything special or take any special precautions in installing a battery in my 05 EGC? Any tips or advice? What do I do with the old battery?

Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been using a Drag Specialties battery in my bike for the last several months. First one lasted but Two or Three days. I figured it had just spent to long on this Kawasaki dealers shelf, as they ordered it for another customer some time back. I also didn't get instructions to charge it before installing it. I had only checked the surface charge before installation. So in retrospect, it's premature demise might have been my fault. Ida kno?
They checked it and had already had me replacement ordered. Easy switch out and have been a happy camper so far.
And I believe that DEKA is HD's factory gel battery.

Yes, their are steps to take in your batteries replacement Chas.
First and foremost, as all repair descriptions in the manual start with, "Disconnect the Battery".
This should be the only instruction you should incorporate for said replacement.
The only difference I remember was the battery terminals reconnect on the front side of the battery as opposed to the top where the stock battery connected. NBD
My $0.02

aka Bob

Old 08-28-2011, 01:33 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with an AGM type battery. If you lay the bike down the last thing you need is battery acid spilling all over you or the bike.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Throwback
Road Warrior

My Stock HD battery crapped out several weeks back after 2.5 years of service. The nearest Harley dealer is 70 miles away and the HD battery is $170. I went to a local indy shop and purchased a Drag Specialties battery for $119. It is an AGM battery just like the stocker plus it comes with a better warranty. The battery comes without the acid installed. The indy put the acid in, sealed it and then put it on charge overnight per the instructions. I picked it up the next day, installed the battery and though only three or four weeks have passed, I am pleased.

For what it's worth. The parts guy at the Harley dealership referred me to the indy I went to. Suggested I try the Darg Specialties battery.

Last edited by Throwback; 08-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Bought a Drag Specialties Battery for their Touring Bike?