Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody gone Wind Splitter to Klock Werks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Has anybody gone Wind Splitter to Klock Werks

I have a Wind Splitter windshield on my Street Glide and it works pretty good. I don't mind air as long as I don't get eyeglass buffeting. Well to make a long story short, my Wind Splitter cracked at one of the screws. Nope, I did not over tighten, but thats another story for another time. Anyway, I called the dealer and drove through the storm (Irene) 1.5 hours away to pick up another Wind Splitter, which I was told was in stock. So I get there and they don't have a WindSplitter? WTF, but they offer to sell me a 6.5 Klock Werks for the same price as the Windsplitter. So I bought it. I'm wondering if the slightly shorter shield will be as good as the Harley shield? The dealer is telling me the 6.5 will out perform the Windsplitter and even a 10" straight Harley shield, which I find hard to believe. Anybody around the 6' mark that has gone in the same direction? opinions?

Last edited by Rickr01; 08-28-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:24 PM
m361
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I have a Wind Splitter windshield on my Street Glide and it works pretty good. I don't mind air as long as I don't get eyeglass buffeting. Well to make a long story short, my Wind Splitter cracked at one of the screws. Nope, I did not over tighten, but thats another story for another time. Anyway, I called the dealer and drove through the storm (Irene) 1.5 hours away to pick up another Wind Splitter, which I was told was in stock. So I get there and they don't have a WindSplitter? WTF, but they offer to sell me a 6.5 Klock Werks for the same price as the Windsplitter. So I bought it. I'm wondering if the slightly shorter shield will be as good as the Harley shield? The dealer is telling me the 6.5 will out perform the Windsplitter and even a 10" straight Harley shield, which I find hard to believe. Anybody around the 6' mark that has gone in the same direction? opinions?
I've never had the windsplitter, but I did have the 6.5" KW's. I am 5'11" and I ride on a Mustang Vintage Super Solo seat, which (I think) sits me a little lower than stock. I ended up trading another forum member for a 8.5" KW's. This puts my sight line at about an inch over the shield and pushes a lot more wind over my head. I like it better than the 6.5" version.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:43 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Name:  IMG_2915.jpg
Views: 2745
Size:  110.0 KB

Here is a comparison of the two, I can tell you the KW is a better design, got rid of more of the buffeting compared to the WS, most likely from the curve at the lip of the shield. It is not better than a 10" shield, and as above, an 8.5" KW would have been best for me ( @5'9" ). All shield were on a SG.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
jukkinator
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't go from HD to KW...but was thinking of going from KW to HD.

I have both the KW 6.5 & 8.5. The 6.5 didn't do much if anything for me..am 5'10" on stock seat. I then bought the 8.5 and there is no buffeting and little air, but it is in my line of sight.

Personally was thinking that may the 7" HD would be perfect.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jukkinator
I didn't go from HD to KW...but was thinking of going from KW to HD.

I have both the KW 6.5 & 8.5. The 6.5 didn't do much if anything for me..am 5'10" on stock seat. I then bought the 8.5 and there is no buffeting and little air, but it is in my line of sight.

Personally was thinking that may the 7" HD would be perfect.
Might want to wait the the new HD 10" wind-splitter for batwings hits the stores.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I really like my 7" WS, for as short as it is, it does a heck of a good job, but I think the new 10" version is going to be perfect for me at 6 feet tall. Figure with the way its angled back, the top of the 10" should be about 2" higher, line of sight wise, than the 7". Should be about perfect for me, as I insist on being able to look cleanly OVER the shield.

Long as it doesn't look like *** on the bike. Not sure Im liking the extra width beyond the edge of the top of he fairing. Will have to just see one when my dealer gets one in. (mid sept)

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for that comparison. Is that the 6.5 Klock?

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD

Here is a comparison of the two, I can tell you the KW is a better design, got rid of more of the buffeting compared to the WS, most likely from the curve at the lip of the shield. It is not better than a 10" shield, and as above, an 8.5" KW would have been best for me ( @5'9" ). All shield were on a SG.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Thanks for that comparison. Is that the 6.5 Klock?
Yes it is...

Old 05-05-2012, 08:58 PM
GazzaH
1st Gear
Default 10" Windsplitter for SG

Originally Posted by flyingace
Might want to wait the the new HD 10" wind-splitter for batwings hits the stores.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I really like my 7" WS, for as short as it is, it does a heck of a good job, but I think the new 10" version is going to be perfect for me at 6 feet tall. Figure with the way its angled back, the top of the 10" should be about 2" higher, line of sight wise, than the 7". Should be about perfect for me, as I insist on being able to look cleanly OVER the shield.

Long as it doesn't look like *** on the bike. Not sure Im liking the extra width beyond the edge of the top of he fairing. Will have to just see one when my dealer gets one in. (mid sept)
How did you find the 10" WS? Reason is I am getting a 2012 SG and think I will put a 10" WS on it as I am 6ft 1.5" tall and like you must see over the screen.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:46 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

went from the KW to the WS . had way to much distortion for my likes. i had the 6.5" KW and hated it. ive had my HD WS on now for probably 6000 + miles and am quite satisfied with it. oh and im 6'1" if that helps any

Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 AM
tacarpe
Stage III

Yesterday I went to the dealer and exchanged my 10" Windsplitter on my 2015 SGS for the same reason. It was cracking in all three if the mounting holes. The dealer tried to say it was over tightened. I am curious how you can squeeze a piece of Lexan between two pieces of plastic and over tighten it. I over tightened the windshield screw on my 06 Ultra and the brass nut pulled out of the inner fairing, but the Lexan did not crack. I hope this one holds up.

Quick Reply: Has anybody gone Wind Splitter to Klock Werks