Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Security key light coming on and I don't have a security system? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/682737-security-key-light-coming-on-and-i-dont-have-a-security-system.html)

Phat09flhx 08-30-2011 04:48 PM

Security key light coming on and I don't have a security system?

Today I was out riding in an area where alot of cunstructions going on, I put the bike in neutral and coasted down thru the road about a half mile when I noticed the key lighting up on the dash and when I put it in gear its going out? Anyone go thru this that may be able to give me some insight?

monumaker 08-30-2011 04:57 PM

I can't help... I think its a short somewhere. If I ride in the rain, after about an hour mine comes on along w my neutral light. They both stay on all the time for about a day, then go away. Dealer says not to worry. I hate it though...

DannyZ71 08-30-2011 05:02 PM

I'll spare you the lecture that is bound to be coming (ref coasting down a hill in neutral), but I have that light as well without having security. But the only time I see it is when I start it up.

Lonewolf176 08-30-2011 05:42 PM

If the engine was running it may have tossed a code for the neutral switch. If the bike senses (IIRC) a speed greater than 5 mph for an extended time with the neutral switch activated it thinks the neutral switch is bad. If it won't start in neutral without the clutch pulled in, you will have to clear the code.

RangeRat 08-30-2011 06:02 PM

I do have the alarm system but...

When I went to high intensity LEDs instead if incandescent bulbs, the red key came on because the "burnt out bulb" sensor does that as a warning. Maybe a bad bulb is being correctly reported?

dontdropit 08-30-2011 07:57 PM

I had a 07 and I did as you, about a mile of down hill curvey road so I put it in neutral and let it coast, the security light flashed on and off a few times. That was the only time it happened and never had any issues relative to it.

Iceman24 08-30-2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176 (Post 8760131)
If the engine was running it may have tossed a code for the neutral switch. If the bike senses (IIRC) a speed greater than 5 mph for an extended time with the neutral switch activated it thinks the neutral switch is bad. If it won't start in neutral without the clutch pulled in, you will have to clear the code.

B-I-N-G-O

Neutral switch/sensor went crazy - not good to place in neutral when rolling, for safety & operability.

iclick 08-30-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by RangeRat (Post 8760214)
When I went to high intensity LEDs instead if incandescent bulbs, the red key came on because the "burnt out bulb" sensor does that as a warning. Maybe a bad bulb is being correctly reported?

This would be my guess as to the cause. If so it should be throwing a code.

Punjabi Rider 08-31-2011 05:10 PM

It's normal any time you coast in neutral while engine running for 1/2 mile or more the light will come on.I found that out few years ago in Death Valley while coasting for about 7 miles down hill. Since then we have 5 different bikes and all acted up same way.

Phat09flhx 08-31-2011 09:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your input, bike still runs great as far as tha goes. Headed to Mo this weekend for a wedding so give me a chance to watch it a bit closer and see if it acts up again.