Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Inner Primary Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkchriston
Well I just dropped off my Out of Warranty 2008 Road King Classic with 11,000 miles the off at the dealer to verify that my inner primary bearing is bad. Both the service manager and lead tech identified it within 5 seconds of me starting the bike. Its being taken apart to confirm there is no other problem, then it's wait and see what Harley Tech Support says on if they will authorize the work. I spoke with Harley Customer Service and got a reference number for my dealer to call once they know for sure the extent of the issue. Hopefully they can convince Harley to stand behind their product.
11k and a bad IPB...................sounds like maybe your retaining ring was not oriented properly in the groove and blocked the oil hole

Name:  untitled-64.jpg
Views: 4631
Size:  14.8 KB

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WHEELFEVER
is this just a problem on the 96s? i dont think ive read one about the 88s
could be a combination of the longer stroke and the 6th gear. something's gotta give.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
11k and a bad IPB...................sounds like maybe your retaining ring was not oriented properly in the groove and blocked the oil hole

somethings up....maybe we need more oil holes

Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg

I just checked a new inner primary I have waiting for install. no retaining ring. oil hole is on the top outside of bearing protrusion. So they changed it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

I have been having problems with my (2003 model Primary) FXR but the bearing year stops at (I believe) 2006 FL. I am using a double row sealed bearing & honed the trans shaft slides into (slip fit 25mm) than used a seal on the outside of the inner primary. You use no inner c-clip as the clutch holds it on (nut) against the inside of the bearing. I have had many problems with a high HP motor tearing up the bearing and years of oil leaks out of the inner primary/trans main shaft. For the first time so far I have not a drop of oil leaking!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well no word from the dealer before closing time today. Maybe they got the approval and just decided to go ahead and fix it.....but that's hopefull thinking

Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
MOCO is aware of this issue and they will cover it on case by case, be polite or raise some hell one of em should convince the MOCO. Had mine twice failed but I've ESP.
I also had the bearing race go out twice on my '09 Road Glide. I'm on a road trip so I'm not at home to check the first milege so I don't know the exact miles. (I think around 23K) But the this time was two weeks ago while on the road. I lost charging at 48K when the stater went out. When they (The dealer in Amarillo) had the primary off, they noticed the race was going bad. I have the extended warranty (ESP), so I'm glad I bought it.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

Finally heard from my local dealer and HD headquarters agreed to fix the primary bearing and race for free. Picking up the bike in the morning with renewed faith in my local dealer and the MoCo. Just hope they didn’t replace it with the same crappy parts.
My dealer was right on about calling HD customer service.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

If you have this problem call HD customer service (don't have the number handy right now but got it from my dealer) and get a reference number. That way when your local tech calls to tell them of the problem he can give them your reference number. My dealer said they have way better luck with Harley covering issues if there is reference number which basically means you the customer have already taken the time to call customer service and will most likely call back if they deny any claim.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
pappy42
Cruiser

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

What years and or models are subject to this problem?

Quick Reply: Dreaded Inner Primary Bearing Failure