Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED OR TUNER ? again

Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been debating this myself but decided (for now) to go with the TTS. I hooked it up on Friday and uploaded the canned recommended map. I did notice a difference that the bike accelerates more quickly that is for sure.

Prior to the tuner and Big Sucker I just had the Supertrapp slip ons. The bike seemed to run and sound the best with that setup. I find the Big Sucker to be pretty loud as it gulps down massive amounts of air. Is the bike probably breathing better? My guess is yes but the sound quality of the pipes has diminished...it almost sounds like it is back to stock levels in volume and depth (rumble, bass) On the highway doing about 75 mph the pipes are very quiet. If I twist the throttle they perk up a bit but not like with just the slipons

I'll do a little more riding this upcoming week to make a final call on what I'm going to be doing

Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I find the Big Sucker to be pretty loud as it gulps down massive amounts of air. Is the bike probably breathing better? My guess is yes but the sound quality of the pipes has diminished...it almost sounds like it is back to stock levels in volume and depth (rumble, bass). On the highway doing about 75 mph the pipes are very quiet. If I twist the throttle they perk up a bit but not like with just the mufflers
Port Dawg, either you have very sensitive hearing or there's something wrong in your setup. I cannot understand how adding an airkit could diminish the sound quality or volume of your mufflers.

When I installed the Maxair kit on my Road Star, it took me several rides to get used to the Maxair breathing in all that fresh air. The Maxair was all I could hear. Eventually, I got used to hearing the Maxair, to the point that I no longer noticed it.

Give it some time before you make a nother change. It may just be YOU!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

OK! filled the tank and went for a long ride...two up and added the tour-pak....More pep on the low end and no lag in 5th and 6th....the rear cly only shut down once at 90+ outside in heavy traffic with stop and go.

So, I think this little plug and play upgrade is worth the bucks. Wife even said she didn't feel as much heat coming off the pipes.

The only thing I forgot to do was write the milage down at start and stop. So another long ride is due....Let you all know the difference in milage...

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
So, I think this little plug and play upgrade is worth the bucks. Wife even said she didn't feel as much heat coming off the pipes...
Great feedback, Jerry1834. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Hughey79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I a contemplating going back to XIED's from the PCV due to popping while upshifting. I love the PCV as it did make a decent difference on the bike but the popping is driving me insane. I have tried to adjust the map and ignition tables but to no avail. Also have been working with fuel moto via phone and email no changes so far.
Again only mods are jackpot slip ons and big sucker open air cleaner. Any one believe going back would be a better idea or other ideas here?
I was happy with the XIEDS's but thought the power commander would be a better choice long term.
Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Forgot to mention my wife didn't know I added anything to the bike. Expect on a long straight away when I say "hold on". Even she noticed the difference.

Anyway, now I just need to check the gas milage on a long trip.....

Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53

When I installed the Maxair kit on my Road Star, it took me several rides to get used to the Maxair breathing in all that fresh air. The Maxair was all I could hear. Eventually, I got used to hearing the Maxair, to the point that I no longer noticed it.

You may very well be correct there...took a long ride today with the new mapping...you def can hear the Big Sucker gulping in air...I think more rides I take the more I'll get used to it. With stock a/c you hear more exhaust that's for sure...not a bad sound now that I think of it...sounds like...power lol

Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hughey79
I a contemplating going back to XIED's from the PCV due to popping while upshifting. I love the PCV as it did make a decent difference on the bike but the popping is driving me insane. I have tried to adjust the map and ignition tables but to no avail. Also have been working with fuel moto via phone and email no changes so far.
Again only mods are jackpot slip ons and big sucker open air cleaner. Any one believe going back would be a better idea or other ideas here?
I was happy with the XIEDS's but thought the power commander would be a better choice long term.
Thanks
Have you looked for a bent pin in the connector?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Hughey79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I have not as there are no other issues. I have heard of the problems of that happening to some though.
Am now emailing dyno jet and they arent sure either of the issue.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcpilot_971
I just put xied on my 09 street glide with a stage one kit on it already I can tell a little bit of a difference only road it about 50 miles so far. I had the power commander on my 07 lowrider and never could get it to run right never could get rid of the popping on deceleration
Hrmph. My Dyna is not EFI, carb on it, and the popping on deceleration is one on the best parts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XIED OR TUNER ? again