Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FLHTCUI - just want to add high flow air breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2006 FLHTCUI - just want to add high flow air breather

I have not been able to get a consistent answer from some I trust regarding an upgrade I want to do to my new-to-me 2006 FLHTCUI (electra glide ultra).
This bike, with 6500 miles, is completely stock. I simply want to add either a K&N air breather kit (RK-3910 or RK-3909) or perhaps a screamin eagle to my bike. K&N techs say nothing else is needed. My indy says I should get a tuner if I do that or perhaps a 02 Enrichment Device, which I have yet to find one for my model/year.
I am new to EFI. I understand how to take care of a carb.
Anyone in the know want to share your wisdom?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

A tuner, XIEDS or a dealer download. I vote for a real tuner as the bike will run the best with it. The goal is to richen up the mixture like you would do with a carb via new jets and or turning the air fuel ration mixture screw, but this is how this is done on a fuel injection bike.

This is where it gets confusing as there are numerous choices for tuners and way to have the bike tuned. There are auto tuners, tuners you load a map onto, and then you can always get a tuner and have the bike put on a Dyno for a custom map.

I almsot forgot to say taht by adding a new air filter, you are leaning out an already lean mixture that will cause the bike to ping and run even hotter. Not good for the engine. Richening it up will cool it and allow a smoother and better running bike.
Drew

Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

At this stage, I don't think I am going to be upgrading exhaust, cams, etc. If it serves the purpose, I like a bike as stock as possible (heresy, I am sure to some). However, if a simple and dependable/stable upgrade can be done inexpensively and will gain me a better performing bike I am all ears.
I am on a budget and I intend to keep this bike a while. So some thoughts on a simple to install, relatively inexpensive solution would be appreciated.
I am now starting to sound like a COB. But after laying out about $4K on repairs/upgrades for my 82 FLT that I paid $2k for and then spending about $1500 on upgrades/repairs for the 96 EG Classic I traded for this Ultra (all in about 1.5 years), I am actually trying to get a grip on expenses.
I mean if it would be better to forego the air intake and simply do what it takes to enrich the fuel and cool the engine, I am OK with that.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

hillcountryflt; stock HD's run lean so adding air to the mix will make the bike run even hotter/leaner. Adding tuner will allow ability for adjustments w/this upgrade...and future. One of the most economical & easiest tuners I researched is from Dobeck Performance (TFI & EJK/GEN3). They have awesome discounts and can help select which make/model's best for your ride + upgrade plans. Give them a call: www.dobeckperformance.com

Good luck & keep us posted on your ride.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my opinion for whatever you think it's worth. This is based on both my personal experience and what I've read in this forum.

Does your bike currently run acceptably as far as you're concerned? Mine ran fine for me when it was totally stock. I had my dealer add the Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit to my bike which is basically a new open back plate and kept the football shaped chrome cover. I did this change primarily to gain the advertised power increase that came with this change.

I also had my dealer install what some call the stage 1 download to the ECM (electronic control module). My understanding is that this download adjusts the ECM settings to compensate for the increased air supply coming through the more open air cleaner. My bike ran fine after the new air cleaner and download were installed.

Some people on here have reported that their bike did not run well from the factory. All I can say is mine ran just fine stock and after the dealer download.

If it was my bike and you have confidence in your dealer, I think I would have them reflash the ECM and let it go at that.

The aftermarket ECM reprogrammers and add-on devices may be a little bit better but I am not sure they are worth the extra investment, especially if you are happy with the way it runs stock and you are not planning on any other changes such as cams or other modifications.

I'm sure others will say the stock tune is too lean and you need to enrichen the mixture to cool the engine down and to be able to get maximum performance. Well, my bike ran just fine stock and it runs just fine with the ECM download and I do not plan to make any other changes, so the download works just fine for me.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the download is approved for street use and most of the aftermarket ECM devices are not (as far as I know). I'm guessing the primary reason for these devices not being approved for street use is that they have not gone through any approvals to show they do not affect exhaust emissions. If they enrichen the mixture, they probably increase emissions and are not legal to use on the street. If protecting our environment is important to you then this is another consideration.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Morris, Iceman, Dr. Vtwin, I appreciate the responses.
Good points Morris and you are on essentially the same track as I am on. Bike has some weird jerks every so often, but so far runs great (only about 200 miles on it). But I might offer another view on environment. If improving its performance increased fuel economy, I would offer that provides a bonus to the environment. Otherwise I am pretty much in sync with your views. Never used the local H-D dealer for anything, so I don't know how good they are.
As to flashing the ECM, that is one option. I am looking at the Dubeck module and the FuelMoto options, too. Reading the tuning instructions on the FuelMoto made me feel right at home (coming from carbs).
My concerns are dependability, no impact on my warranty (got a 3 year with it) and perhaps running cooler/more efficiently.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just another thought: I didn't go for the "Stage One Download" from the dealer. It just rubs me wrong to pay $150 for something that only brings your bike back to the same lean settings it had before you added the A/C.
For a few dollars more you're into a PCIII and an air cleaner from FuelMoto. Plus it can be re-tuned should you decide to change out the exhaust. Those guys send you a PCIII with the correct settings and all you do is plug it in and ride. And they have a great rep with excellent customer service.
After I installed my PCIII there wasn't a single 96" TC that would run with my 88" SG. And I'm talking about the bikes that had identical mods as mine. I still got 40-50 mpg depending on speed and load.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 09-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of honest options and choices given for you. I personally would go with the PC5. Just wanted to saythat I had a 1996 Ultra and I used and abused it...rode it hard, traded it for the new SG at 45000 miles and it still ran Great ! That Evo is a well made motor IMHO.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

as far as air cleaner, there is little advantage to a hiflow air cleaner with out a high flow exhaust ( and the tuning)

after using Screaming Eagles on Evos, for my twin cam I went with the ness big sucker--- MUCH less expensive, a tidier install and a washable oiled filter ( although not a K&N).

good pricing from easternpc on ebay, I paid $115 shipped for my chrome version

but with out pipes, you don't need it

mike

Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
as far as air cleaner, there is little advantage to a hiflow air cleaner with out a high flow exhaust ( and the tuning)

after using Screaming Eagles on Evos, for my twin cam I went with the ness big sucker--- MUCH less expensive, a tidier install and a washable oiled filter ( although not a K&N).

good pricing from easternpc on ebay, I paid $115 shipped for my chrome version

but with out pipes, you don't need it

mike
I do not agree with your assessment of an open air cleaner.

From my experience and from the reading of a number of posts on here, the air cleaner on a stock bike is much more restrictive than the stock exhaust system.

The engine is just a big air pump. Anything to remove restriction in the system will help air move more freely and should help produce more power.

The link below from the factory Harley-Davidson web site shows a dyno chart that indicates both a horsepower and torque increase when used with stock mufflers.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

The price shown on this unit is $140. A lot of places offer a 20% discount which would put the price at $112 and it includes a washable filter.

Last edited by Morris9982; 09-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2006 FLHTCUI - just want to add high flow air breather