Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods Cams--tw555--and valve noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
7Sixpack7
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
I can't remember how the stockers sounded but my 555's are not noisy. I actually get more noise through the air cleaner than valve noise.
Of coarse I used the FM adjustable push rods. Mine was quiet. Like Springer said, more noise out of the heavy breather. The lope was awesome!

I'm thinking of installing them in this new ride over the 255's.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Either way you should be happy.

255's are no joke though.....they are a GREAT cam grind.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 PM
jvvjvv
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have over 5k on the 555's with woods lifters and SE adj. pushrods.........very quite.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a TW6-6 cam set on my RKC and I don't hear extra noise - I'm on standard lifters and Andrews pushrods. Maybe I might if I had a batwing bike. Some say that a Woods cam is a lot quieter if the pre-load on the pushrod is increased by a couple of flats but I'm not an expert so I'd talk to someone who knows the details before you did that

Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

The Wood's TW-555 cams are generally very quiet, in fact many times they are quieter than stock especially when used with the Woods Directional directional lifters. I'm not sure where the "noisy" Wood's cam info being passed around forums started from, but I have a pretty good idea. We have installed many, many of these cams and the most important consideration is pushrod adjustment, if you do not have them in the correct area of the plunger travel you may see excessive noise. I highly recommend adjustable pushrods as the base circle is slighly different than the stock cams, if the lifter preload is not correct this could lead to noise. Some have noted overly aggressive ramps, and while Wood's does make some pretty aggressive cams with up to .650 lift the TW-555's have very conservative ramps and overall specs. They are actually less aggressive than ramps on the stock cams. The photo below compares the stock and Wood TW-555 cams

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 09-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say that based on that pic the 555 cams have much more aggressive ramps then the stock. It is clear that they open faster, and stay open longer looking at that picture.

I have run the 555 in 2 different bikes and setup with Woods lifters they have been very close to stock in valve train noise, but they do seem to have slightly different sound. I also have run the Woods 7 in a different setup and they were pretty loud. It does seem to make a major difference if you install them with more preload and the Woods lifters, otherwise you may very well HEAR them.

I do have to say that the 555 cam performs very well when dialed in, they just keep on pulling.

Hobe

Last edited by Hobe; 09-10-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

that pic is insane

Old 09-11-2011, 09:16 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traveler, I have been admiring your bike for a while now. Who made your seat???

Old 09-11-2011, 10:24 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TW555, woods directional lifters, & FM push rods (plus PCV and Stage 1 intake/exhaust). Get a slight tick when engine is bone cold that goes away very quickly. After that, valve train is quieter then stock. In the heat and humidity of VA, I had pinging <3K form the FM base map for my PCV. I removed the 2-3 degrees of advance in the 2500-3000 rpm range and it runs great. Very quiet, even with lower fairings on... well except for an awesome lope and that it seriously pulls now. Don't even notice mountain passes or loaded bike and passenger anymore. 40-42mpg.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by springer
Traveler, I have been admiring your bike for a while now. Who made your seat???
Apologies for the hijack.

I have one just like it; it came off an '02 FLHT. I think it will fit later models but not sure. My butt can't take for more than 100 miles but it sure looks good; I will let it go cheap. PM me if interested and I will send you a pic.

As far as valve train noise, it's reminds me of the same conversation when everybody was installing gear drives. Some guys would go back to chain drives because they couldn't handle the noise and some would say the gears made less noise than stock and some would say the gears made noise but they liked the noise. Sure, the noise would vary depending on how the gear drives were setup but noise is pretty subjective; what't noisy to one will be acceptable to another.

Last edited by djl; 09-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Woods Cams--tw555--and valve noise