Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! CAM Bearing info

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Twrguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! CAM Bearing info

My friend purchased a new 2011 Ultra Limited with 103 motor last Saturday.
This morning as we speak the dealer is installing Stage 1, 254E cam SERT Pro.
I noticed that the cam Kit did not include new inner CAM bearings I told him to ask the dealer to install Torrington or SE which I think are torrington..?? Anyway the dealership told him that the "new" bikes already have the SE bearing. I don't think that is true, can anyone verify this for me...please.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:42 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Doesn't matter, the new bikes have the 1" bearing so ease your mind, its all good grasshopper. The type of bearing doesn't matter, caged or non-caged, it's a non-issue with the 1" cam journal. It's not like the 7/8" versions that had the issues.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Twrguy
Cruiser

if it doesn't matter then why do they make a bearing with nearly twice as many rollers?
And if you are going to open the CAM case and install new cams and there is a better bearing available why wouldn't you install it?? And your right, it PROBABLY wont matter but, I wanted to know if the stock bearings had been upgraded to SE??

Old 09-10-2011, 09:54 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,958 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Get the SE inner cam bearings.............they are the Torringtons...............they DO NOT come stock on the new bikes.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

I'm in the process of installing S&S 510 cams. Replacing the stock cam bearings with Torringtons. This was recommended by the mech I use for things like this.

His words, "I want to replace the Chinese Harley bearings with Torringtons while I'm in there". I will look at the bearings when we get them out and see exactly what they are and let you know.

The bike is a new 2012 EG Classic 103. He is the best Harley mech/tech that I have ever known and I trust his judgment. He does not push unnecessary parts and service onto customers. His cam and bearing replacements with a typical stage I pipes, cleaner, and tune runs around $2000. This is using quality American made parts. Harley quoted me $3200 for the same service (keeping the stock bearings) and using HD replacement parts.

No brainer for me.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Twrguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
I'm in the process of installing S&S 510 cams. Replacing the stock cam bearings with Torringtons. This was recommended by the mech I use for things like this.

His words, "I want to replace the Chinese Harley bearings with Torringtons while I'm in there". I will look at the bearings when we get them out and see exactly what they are and let you know.

The bike is a new 2012 EG Classic 103. He is the best Harley mech/tech that I have ever known and I trust his judgment. He does not push unnecessary parts and service onto customers. His cam and bearing replacements with a typical stage I pipes, cleaner, and tune runs around $2000. This is using quality American made parts. Harley quoted me $3200 for the same service (keeping the stock bearings) and using HD replacement parts.

No brainer for me.
Thanks, please let me know what you find.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Twrguy
Thanks, please let me know what you find.
Sure thing. Should have it on the road by the end of the week.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The 2011 Limited has the 9215 (caged INA) bearing.

A set of the B168 bearings costs about 15 bucks.

I swapped over to the full complement bearings when I did a cam swap on my motor last year. However, I don't think they're actually an upgrade. ( Caged bearings are rated for higher rpms, full complement bearings are designed for higher side loads.) Most folks, including all the professional engine builders I know disagree with me and recommend the bearing upgrade.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The 2011 Limited has the 9215 (caged INA) bearing.

A set of the B168 bearings costs about 15 bucks.

I swapped over to the full complement bearings when I did a cam swap on my motor last year. However, I don't think they're actually an upgrade. ( Caged bearings are rated for higher rpms, full complement bearings are designed for higher side loads.) Most folks, including all the professional engine builders I know disagree with me and recommend the bearing upgrade.
There is so much misinfomation out there regarding bearing styles. Most guys just parrot what they have been hearing with no knowledge of what you have found out for yourself. Caged bearings cost as much to make as full comp, and are more open to lubrication hence the higher rpm rating. Torrington/Timken has more factories in Asia than they do anywhere else, so those Chinese bearings are everywhere. INA Caged bearings are absolutely fine in the 1" bearing application. And I agree with you that a full comp is not an upgrade, beacuse if bearing surface area was a concern the factory could put non roller bushings/bearings in and have 100% surface area like the crank on a Big Block Chev, think the cams on an HD see more load or abuse than that?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default here is pic of my original and se

here is pic of my origianl ones I took out and replacd with the b168 torringtons the se ones have double the roller needles. the original ones have bearing race spacers between the needles

Attached Thumbnails HELP! CAM Bearing info-66-old-new-bearings.jpg   HELP! CAM Bearing info-67-old-new-bearings.jpg   HELP! CAM Bearing info-62-cam-bearing-puller.jpg   HELP! CAM Bearing info-83-pusher-in-action.jpg   HELP! CAM Bearing info-84-checkiing-depth.jpg  

Quick Reply: HELP! CAM Bearing info