Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 & Later - Gas Tank Removal - Step by Step - Pics

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
First, pull the fuse for the fuel pump.

Second, start the bike to purge the fuel lines, often at high pressures. This will help to prevent any fuel spray during removal of the fuel lines from the tank.
The manual states to remove the main fuse before working on the bike.

If it is planed to remove the tank right after riding, this may be true. If you remove the tank from the bike first thing after sitting over night, (and not turning the switch on) the pressure will not be present.
And to not have the pump turn on, just don't turn the switch on.

I didn't remove the fuses because I didn't want to go through the exercise of resetting the alarm or other electronic stuff the manual states is needed. (Or take any chance I would need to do so). I just made sure not to turn the bike on.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't have to remove the console either. I just ran power wire from an amp under the tank the other day. 2 bolts in front of the tank, 2 bolts behind, quick disconnect and lift it up. Couldn't believe how easy it was.

I did pull the fuse and run it for the few seconds it took to die however. Just got done riding it after picking up the amp.

On that note, I did notice I'm missing one of the front rubber/plastic bolt/tank ear covers that are in front of the tank.

Edit - Forgot about the 2 drip hoses and a connector. Still took all of 5 minutes to take it off.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
When Harley went to the 6 gallon tank, they eliminated the cross over on the front of the tank. On the 5 Gallon models, you still have the cross over tube to deal with when removing the tank on the Pre '08 models.
On the 6 Gallon tanks for Ultra Glide and Ultra Road Glide models, the process is much the same. Just have one more plug for the head set in the dash (if you have the Ultra). There is not any difference in fuel tanks between the ABS equipped bikes and Non-ABS models.
You are not required to drain the tank, but I ran the fuel down so the tank didn't weigh too much.
If you don't have to drain the tank, does the quick release for the gas line close. Is there some sort of flap in the tank side of the fitting?

Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
56tbird
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you need to pull the tank to change bars if you have abs?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBAR55
If you don't have to drain the tank, does the quick release for the gas line close. Is there some sort of flap in the tank side of the fitting?
If you have ever seen a compressed air lines, they are like that. The lines close. No leakage.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know how to say it in Klingon, but thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

I ran my Molex 8 pin connector cable/to display screen for the PV underneath the console, plenty of space and it exits perfectly out the front of the tank to screen.

I am however going to have to remove the tank to replace front ABS brake lines, going +6, installed 12" mini-apes.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

hey anyone know if there are any additional steps for an 08 road glide?? I have to pull my tank for some mods as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
hey anyone know if there are any additional steps for an 08 road glide?? I have to pull my tank for some mods as well.
I can't comment on the RG portion of your question, but I do believe someone said this was the same procedure for an 08 too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 & Later - Gas Tank Removal - Step by Step - Pics