Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tire that is two years old. Michelin Commander, should I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New tire that is two years old. Michelin Commander, should I?

Put a pair of Michelin Commanders on my FLHRSI last summer, put 11,000 miles on them and thought they were great. Was recently warned by my wrench that the rear was about shot. Last weekend I got caught in the rain for the first time that I can remember on the bike, the rear tire slipped easily while in 1st gear.

So I call the HD dealer and order (and pay for) a new one. While waiting for it to come in, yesterday digging around here I found out they went out of production in 09, and at $183 I spent 3X what they were selling for when they quit making them. I call the dealer and he agrees to work with me if I decide to not take it and will apply my $183 toward a new pair of Dunlops at $600 mounted out the door (or any of the other brands).

I know a lot of people ride on two year old + tires. The ones on my FXDWG are 3 year old Avons and I don't think about that fact for a moment. When I bought the FXDWG it was 7 years old and had 2200 miles, the tires WERE shot, it would follow the rain cuts, cracks, the bridge grids in the road to the point of being scary.

So what do you guys think? Put the new Michelin on and run it until I need a pair, or ante up for a new pair?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Afishinado;8846961]

"...I call the dealer and he agrees to work with me if I decide to not take it and will apply my $183 toward a new pair of Dunlops at $600 mounted out the door (or any of the other brands)......So what do you guys think? quote]"

$600 mounted out the door?! The tires ain't the only thing the dealer is "mounting". You can get a new front AND rear tire (Elite 3) delivered to your door for $225 give or take... As for the additional $375...That is some serious mounting! Does the dealer give you a tube of Preparation H to ease the irritation from the mount job?

All kidding aside, order the tires online and apply the $183 toward the labor to install them. Any more than an hour labor to do the rear tire and they are gouging you.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote=Olde Skool;8847095]
Originally Posted by Afishinado

"...I call the dealer and he agrees to work with me if I decide to not take it and will apply my $183 toward a new pair of Dunlops at $600 mounted out the door (or any of the other brands)......So what do you guys think? quote]"

$600 mounted out the door?! The tires ain't the only thing the dealer is "mounting". You can get a new front AND rear tire (Elite 3) delivered to your door for $225 give or take... As for the additional $375...That is some serious mounting! Does the dealer give you a tube of Preparation H to ease the irritation from the mount job?

All kidding aside, order the tires online and apply the $183 toward the labor to install them. Any more than an hour labor to do the rear tire and they are gouging you.
+1, I agree, that price is wayyyy too high.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your business elsewhere. I just had a pair of E3s delivered to my door for $240. My Indy installed them and bled my front brakes for $130. Grand total: $370. And the tires are fresh.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:26 AM
FLORIDABAGGER
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call the dealer and tell him hes fuking nuts. Get your money back and order your own tire. I got my rear mounted for $65. Seriously $600 and you didnt say anything?

There are good shops selling new tires on ebay for $130 or so. You can just do a google search and find PLENTY of sites that have rear tires for under $200. Top brand ones too.

$600? I would tell him he is insane and will never get my money.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Jakewilson.com has those commanders for $60 (granted they are old, out of production tires) my indy mounts and balances for $20. I pull the wheels. I just bought a new set of e3's from jakewilson for just over $200 shipped to me.

Your dealer sounds like a crook. run, run away fast!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt be scared to run it because of its age as long as its been stored inside and the rubber doesnt look dried out.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost me 400 bucks 6 weeks ago for a new 402 rear mounted at my local STEALER!! Crazy, they guy we deal with in Niagara Falls NY (south end cycle) quoted me just over 400 for both.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
hopperop
Banned

I agree, get your money back and go elsewhere.

Having said that, you should not buy tires more than one year old, but two years old is still okay, depending on how long you keep them on your bike. If they are replaced by the time they are 5 or 6 years old then that is fine. A lot of people don't know it but tire age is a huge factor in safety and how your bike handles. 7 - 9 years old really should not be on your bike, Under no circumstances should you have a tire ten years old on your bike.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

+3 for telling the dealer to go pound sand... thats just crazy!!!

Quick Reply: New tire that is two years old. Michelin Commander, should I?