Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide test ride - Rental is next

Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Glide test ride - Rental is next

The HD demo truck was at my local dealer this weekend, so I took the opportunity to test ride non-Sportsters (I ride a 48) without the hassles of a salesperson being involved. I really enjoyed the Street Glide. A lot. I think my next step is to rent one this summer for a previously planned extended weekend vacation between KC and Dallas that I was going to drive in my car.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Black Gator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like a good plan. However, you should get your 48 ready for the trade-in 'cause once you ride the Street Glide you 'ain't going back to your bike.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM
mr_giddy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Gator
Sounds like a good plan. However, you should get your 48 ready for the trade-in 'cause once you ride the Street Glide you 'ain't going back to your bike.
no joke...test rode my street glide,and traded in my iron on the spot.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Hope you got the chance to ride a couple of other models- just so you could get a feel for the difference
Some of the other batwing touring models are better suited for longer trips on the "road" rather than the "street"
30% longer rear shock travel, cushier seat, storage space etc.
Mike

Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

These were group rides that did not include any time on the interstate, so it was hard for me to tell the difference between the Touring models. However, I did try a Dyna (Fatbob), a Softail (Slim) and two Touring (Street Glide and a CVO Road King). I can't explain it, but I sure liked the Street Glide. It was windy in Kansas City this weekend, but I could tell that the Street Glide handled it much better than my 48, even though I had a windscreen on my 48 that day.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Know how you feel. Did the demo rides 4 weeks ago and now there is a Fatboy in the garage too. Followed me home so I had to let it stay

Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rented a Street Glide back in 08 for a weekend. I bought my 09 brand new.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Matt13streetglide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt even bother with a test ride. i traded in my sport bike and bought a 2013 street glide just by going to a dealer. granted i already had it in mind. best move ive made. but it will def be hard to go back once you have it for a long run, the comfort of a glide is great. which im sure all of the touring bikes that can be said about.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever you do DONT ride an ultra. If you do be prepared to release all of that moldy money from your wallet for a long time to come, lmao... I traded my 1200 custom in on my limited and I wonder why I did not do this many years earlier. Big Red is just as fast as my sporty, can whip around just as good and is comfortable as hell. Let me tell you in advance, welcome to the touring forum, hehe. Good luck with your choice and stay safe.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I rented a heritage for the weekend prior to buying my King. The heritage was a good ride but the wife hated the back seat. We test rode a King and she said this will work.

Now my king has be modified a lot and is now almost a perfect fit.

I work at a marine dealership that took an Ultra in trade for a new boat. The Ultra was wholesaled to the local HD Dealer and being the only bike rider at the dealership I got to ride it to the Harley Dealer and deliver it to the sales manager.

The Manager asked me what I thought of the Ultra and I told him it was no where near as comfortable as my King. He Was Shocked! that I though my king was more comfortable.

I told him I'd Bring it by and let him set on it. After work I stopped by on my King and l let him sit on it. The Guy was first surprised about how much my King didn't look like a King and look more like a Ultra. Then he Sat on it for a couple of minutes and got off shaking his head. His statement after getting off the bike was "Now That's What an Ultra should feel like"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Glide test ride - Rental is next