Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring GPS power on Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wiring GPS power on Road King Classic

Wanna use my GPS on my 02 RK Classic. I don't have anything wired to my accessory switch, but I have also heard that I can use the wiring for the unused fender tip light in the Classic highlight housing. Can anyone help me out and let me know how you got power to your GPS. Pictures and full explanation would be great.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
T_om
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops, reply disappeared.

I hope someone answers this as I am in the same spot.

Tom

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Daddyohdad
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy and I installed my Garmin 550 on my 2012 RKC recently. After bantering about ideas involving accessory lines, we just ran the power from the handlebar mounted unit through the front trim and then straight under the instrument panel and speedometer and right under seat to battery. Looks clean as a whistle.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most RK Classics have the same wiring harness as models with the front fender light even though there is not one on the Classic. On my 2005 there is a hot wire and a ground inside the headlight housing, spade terminals. That's where I pulled power for my GPS. I read this bit of info on a forum somewhere and I just poked around inside the housing with a test light until I found what I was looking for.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I just did this on my buddies 2012 RKC. We ran the wire direct to the battery and up under the console. Very clean and really easy.

Ah; I just saw daddyohdad posted; he is the buddy.

Last edited by vistavette; 10-05-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Invictys
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good call on using the fender tip light wiring thanks!

I'm about to put in a new front fender and won't be using the tip light anymore so that works out perfectly for my new Zumo 660 =)

Gotta love these forums!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
Most RK Classics have the same wiring harness as models with the front fender light even though there is not one on the Classic. On my 2005 there is a hot wire and a ground inside the headlight housing, spade terminals. That's where I pulled power for my GPS. I read this bit of info on a forum somewhere and I just poked around inside the housing with a test light until I found what I was looking for.
How do I use the unused fender tip light wiring? Is there a kit to buy? Do I hook up a cig lighter application and then plug in my GPS? If you have any photos I would love to see. I am pretty good with a wrench but electrical is not my thing.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:12 PM
DrQ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the Zumo 665 on my 09 RKC connected to the accessory power under the seat and ran the cord under the tank panel.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to wire one of these up over the winter.

http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP.htm

It will be much more versatile then hardwiring the power source for one device.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I wired a black Bell cig lighter ($19) from auto zone and mounted it to the frame with zip ties - very solid. Since it's black, you can't tell it's even there unless you look very closely. I plug in my GPS with car charger when needed, which has traffic avoidance so it uses the car charger cord as FM antenna to receive traffic info... what's nice about having the cig lighter charger is you can also charge phone, ipod, whatever... I tapped into the front running lights in the headlight nacelle if I remember correctly... can't remember off hand. Cables are run up the frame in small black plastic wire conduit, so looks good, but is also hidden along the frame up to the nacelle.

Quick Reply: Wiring GPS power on Road King Classic