Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD "Tall Boy" Seat Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HD "Tall Boy" Seat Questions

I'm 6'1". After my initial test rides, I knew that I needed a new seat - for me AND my wife - so I bought a Sundowner. Ever since the install, I have noticed that I'm scootching back at stops. I'd like a little more room between me and the tank.

My ideal seat would be somewhere between the HD Sundowner and the HD Tall Boy or Mustang Super Tourer, but I don't think such a seat exists, so...

I'm considering a HD Tall Boy seat, but I have some questions regarding fitment:

Is it possible to ride in the middle of the seat, instead of butting up to the rear bucket?
Are the passenger accommodations comparable to those of the Sundowner?

I have heard good things about the stock 2011 HD SG CVO seat. Does anyone have any experience with those seats?

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by FenderGuy53; 10-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with the sundowner. I have a tallboy now and I love it. The wife loves it too.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tall boy

gf luvs it ,it hate it,it puts you up to high for me,compared to a solo brawler.it is well paded and comfortable,my2 cents

Old 10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
flatfifth2003
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the HD Tall boy seat on my 08 SG, IMO it's junk, very uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. I have the Mustang Super Touring Seat on it now and it was money well spent except that the cover is not sealed from the factory and it takes a while to dry out if you don't have it sealed and get caught in the rain. I am 6'4" and the mustang fits me very well and much better constructed than any Harley seat I have ever seen.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a TallBoy on my (at the time) '08 Street Glide after throwing $$$ after $$$ into different seats (Mustang, Corbin, custom & modified stock seats and otherwise). Did an 800 mile weekend shortly after and found it to be the most comfortable seat I've had - Which blew me away, as it was by far the least expensive seat I've had.

Very happy that it transferred over to my '11 ElectraGlide also. Never had a sore back, never a hint of "monkey butt" - The wife absolutely loves the passenger pad.

Sets you down and back slightly compared to the stock seat, has decent lower back support when you push into it, but allows for a little freedom if you want to sit a little more "in the bucket" --

6'-.5" 34"-ish inseam, 250-ish pounds.

CONS:

Let's face it -- You bought a Street Glide partially because it's a bit more "sleek" than the average Glide. The TB is not a "sleek" looking seat when viewed from the rear, especially if your passenger backrest isn't attached.

That said, I always had the backrest on anyway. THAT said, I wasn't too concerned about the minor stylistic issue either. THAT said, if it bugs you, it'd be easy enough for just about any qualified automotive upholstery guy to shave the "roundness" of the passenger area down some.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:38 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my TB seat but at 6'7" and 285 I still needed a bit more room so I had Mean City cycles shave it and shape it a bit and add memory foam front and rear.
It's an all day rider now!

Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Tried a Tallboy on my 2011 Ultra Limited for a few months. I'm 6'2" and it was just a bit too far back for my arm reach to the bars and wife said it crowded her some. Height seemed about same as my original stock seat. I know bars and tourpack location can be changed but decided I could live with a bit closer to tank and boards so changed to a Hammock seat which is 1" more forward and a bit lower. Still need bars a bit further back but is managable.