Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Clutch Replacement on 09 SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Awesome, had mine replaced around 18,000. Had the clutch hub done too. Recently had MCR's installed but I can see me doing this again in maybe a season or 2.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM
sssmdg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a month plus of that horrific starter noise I went to the, got scared of there quote, bought the new started clutch and went about it myself. I elected to take the pipes and oil tank off as well as the rear splash guard. I figured this would be a great opportunity to clean places we just can't get to.

Complete disassembly, meaning get bike jack out, get tools out, get beer ready took less than two hours. I have not split the starter yet, but its next. How could HD want so much money I will never know.

Advise, 1/4 Allan socket, if you pull your oil tank, just pull back the chrome covers to the lines, pinch the connectors and a slight pull, lines come off. Also pick up a four pack of fuel injector clamps, used to put rubber oil lines, overflow back together.

This process sounds worse than it is.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM
sssmdg
6th Gear
Default starter clutch in now

Originally Posted by sssmdg
After a month plus of that horrific starter noise I went to the, got scared of there quote, bought the new started clutch and went about it myself. I elected to take the pipes and oil tank off as well as the rear splash guard. I figured this would be a great opportunity to clean places we just can't get to.

Complete disassembly, meaning get bike jack out, get tools out, get beer ready took less than two hours. I have not split the starter yet, but its next. How could HD want so much money I will never know.

Advise, 1/4 Allan socket, if you pull your oil tank, just pull back the chrome covers to the lines, pinch the connectors and a slight pull, lines come off. Also pick up a four pack of fuel injector clamps, used to put rubber oil lines, overflow back together.

This process sounds worse than it is.

Issues are now resolved,

Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

This is the inside of the starter gear, actually an overrun unlocking type clutch since if motor spins the gear faster then starter, the locking pins run up the ramp and gear spins freely to prevent gas motor from spinning the electric motor at high speed and blowing it apart. What I am trying to figure is how so many of them have problems? (sprag clutch = one-way freewheel clutch)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are (2) postioning dowels that help secure the starter to the inner primary. When removing the starter ensure these don't fall into the primary and also ensure that they are positioned properly on reassembly.

The rear O2 sensor cable can be snagged quite easily when removing/replacing the starter. Just be aware.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 AM
sssmdg
6th Gear
Default agreed

Originally Posted by Assegai
There are (2) postioning dowels that help secure the starter to the inner primary. When removing the starter ensure these don't fall into the primary and also ensure that they are positioned properly on reassembly.

The rear O2 sensor cable can be snagged quite easily when removing/replacing the starter. Just be aware.
The two dowels that assist holding the starter in place, for real do not loose track of them, I did, however now I am an expert at pulling that starter out and putting it back in , thank god I noticed them before the I put the oil tank back in.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM
D3V
Stage IV

ScubaMike,

Thanks for the itemized run down on this service. Just got my all ***** racing starting clutch today, replacing tomorrow with some help from this post!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to using this thread shortly....hope it's as "easy" as it reads...

Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Koi1975
Intermediate

Awesome right up...Just did mine and glad I had a chance to read up on it before...very simple fix, more time taking bolts off to get the starter out than actually replacing the clutch...1hr max...thanks again, well done..

Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM
markasallen
Stage III
Default Starter Removal on my 09 FLHT.

The service manual to the bike sucks when it comes to detail on removing the starter and solenoid. the bolts have been removed but the starter/solenoid will not budge. the wire connection to the starter to the solenoid is not accessible to remove. I am about to loose my patience and take a hammer to it.
please help.

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch Replacement on 09 SG