Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear light bar and license plate light...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 PM
CrazyBoom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear light bar and license plate light...help

I recently purchased the rear light bar and license plate assembly with Lens HDI (p/n #69378-09). The only thing that came in the light assembly box was the part in the pictures...no lens, screws, or instructions. For those with the license plate below the rear light bar is there some sort of lens cover? Do I need to contact the dealer to fix the problem? Or am I just not getting it? Seems to me that you would want to cover the light to protect it and have a lens to disperse it properly!

Also I have no rear fender tip light and was told I could use the connector for the license plate light. The service manual lists the connector as (45). Which is a TYCO 070 Multilock unsealed connector with three places. Where is the best place to purchase this...does the dealer stock this?

Thanks for all the help,
A

Attached Thumbnails Rear light bar and license plate light...help-photo-3.jpg   Rear light bar and license plate light...help-photo-4.jpg   Rear light bar and license plate light...help-photo-5.jpg   Rear light bar and license plate light...help-photo-6.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What you have is the complete Light assembly and lens for the Turn Signal bar used on the Road King.
It mounts to the bottom of the Turn signal bar, above the License plate.
It does not come with instructions or screws (HD part 2482). The lens is just the clear cover over the LEDs. You will need three 3 pin Housing Socket (73153-96BK) to plug into the tail light. You will use only two wires. Just be sure to get the polarity correct. The lights are LED and are polarity sensitive.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 10-27-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 AM
CrazyBoom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks...

I picked up the part (for the connection) and also got a good look at the way it was mounted on one of the bikes in the dealership. I have the correct measurements for the mounting screws...they wanted $11 for one, so I'll hit the local hardware store and see what I can do!
Thanks again!!!
A

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
What you have is the complete Light assembly and lens for the Turn Signal bar used on the Road King.
It mounts to the bottom of the Turn signal bar, above the License plate.
It does not come with instructions or screws (HD part 2482). The lens is just the clear cover over the LEDs. You will need three 3 pin Housing Socket (73153-96BK) to plug into the tail light. You will use only two wires. Just be sure to get the polarity correct. The lights are LED and are polarity sensitive.
Are the lights mounted wire on top (circuit board up) and black face down?

Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I got a PM asking what I found and did, so I shared and thought an update might help others, here's what I found and did ................

The wires go up (yellow circuit board side) and fed through fender hole up to the tail light.

The black side with the HDI lights showing on the outer edge gets mounted down to illuminate the plate.

Both wires on the light are black. It doesn't matter which you use for + per the repair manual, but the other has to be mounted to ground.

The fender tip light connector is upper left behind the tail light lens with 2 wires. I cut the connector wires off about 1 1/2" back from the connector. Using
electrical crimp pliers I put a red male connector for each single wire on each lead out of the fender tip light connector. I used blue female connectors to marry the fender tip and plate light leads. The blues allow room for 2 wires.

Fitted the male/female connectors together, and taped each connection with electrical tape. So far so good ............