Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for those that trailer the bike...

Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Iowa rider
Still managed to get 18k on the bike last year.
You know the trailered miles don't count right?

Our goal is to cover all lower 48 on the bike. But I have to admit, I'm getting pretty sick of I-80/90 every time we go anywhere. We have the New England states to do so one more slog through the east and North Dakota and Washington. Then it's trailer time. Less wear and tear on the bike and the body.

I like the camping idea. Motel idea makes sense. Another option is relatives.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:19 AM
wreck
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in NW MN and have a motel. We have no problem letting someone leave a rig here. We actually offer cleaning rags and use of our garage to put the bikes inside if the weather is bad. We are on Hwy 2 so we see quite a few bikes. An enclosed trailer is on my list of needs.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 783 Likes on 596 Posts

A camp ground or U-store it type of place could be used to park a trailer and vehicle.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,586 Posts

For many years I have trailered bike(s) to various destinations and my wife has flown out to meet me.
This is especially important to us since she has limited vacation time and allows us to make the most of our riding time.

I've left my "rigs" at motels, in storage facilities, and once in a ranchers yard in Utah, and so far I've never had a problem but I try to pick areas that I think are safe.

As for the OP's question about trailers, I've used open flatbeds as well as enclosed models.
The flatbeds do offer better fuel mileage for the tow vehicle, but the shortcoming is the lack of protection for the cargo.

I prefer an enclosed trailer with a drop-down rear door, with tandem axles with a minimum size of 7'x14', and wider if you're hauling two baggers.

I currently have a flatbed landscape trailer that is set-up to haul four Harleys and my riding partner has an enclosed model that we use for our two bikes.

My last enclosed trailer was an enclosed 6'x20' V-nose snowmobile trailer with dropdown doors front and rear and it worked great for loading two bikes, front-to-rear, BUT, if I ever buy another enclosed motorcycle trailer I think I'll invest in an Iron Horse fiberglass model.

Better to go too big than too small.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM
m.colley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to be against my bike being on a trailer, six years ago I changed my mind. The OL and I love to camp and ride so we base camp and ride using state parks and motorcycle friendly campgrounds/lodges across the east coast. I haven't had a one NOT allow me to leave my truck and trailer overnight if we were out riding. I will say I've offered many times to pay a nominal parking fee and have only been taken up on it twice. Like others have suggested asking ahead of time always helps.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:25 PM
CalgaryBikeBum
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

When you live where it's cold for six months you take your riding time as you can get it. My wife and I trailered our roadking to Henderson Nevada (right beside Vegas). I arranged a storage place for a month. We only used it for a week but has secure gates, 24 hour access and security. They had a deal on so it cost me only 35 bucks for first month. LOL We are heading there again this year in February. We will do California ,Arizona, Nevada again. This time she has her own Trike so she's way more excited. And we are going for two weeks. I and my son bought an enclosed trailer which fits my street glide and her trike just perfect. With room to spare for other things. Enjoy your trip. If you get to ride in winter its all good.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:12 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,193 Likes on 8,494 Posts

I don't like the idea of having a trailer in my driveway or on property year round. I rent a 1-way U Haul. Load up, drive and be done with it. They'll let you leave your truck on their property if you rent a return trailer from them. Renting a small U Haul truck is even better for long stays but more expensive. You can rent from starting point. Ride where you want. Rent from your end point without having to go back for your truck

Last edited by 71on72; 01-05-2015 at 05:49 PM.