Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 05:27 PM
GULFCOASTBAGGER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King won't start

Haven't rode in a couple of weeks and go out today to go for a Sunday scoot and hit the start button and just a click down near the starter. Checked the battery connections and they all look good. Probably original battery 06' . Not much of a mechanic but was wondering if anyone has an idea on what I could possibly check. Thanks in advance

Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM
scoooter9
Advanced

put a meter on the pos. and neg. cables at the battery. it should be12 volts or a little over. If it's not try charging the battery before buying one. If it is at 12 now or after you charge hook up the meter again and check for the voltage drop. If you are dumping 2 or more volts you are going to need a battery. Just lights will really show a drain. If battery is good the starter needs checked next.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM
GULFCOASTBAGGER
Novice

Thanks Scoooter9. I will bring home a charger and meter tomorrow. Hopefully just a battery. I appreciate the advice. I will let ya know what I find

Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

For a battery to go bad in the two weeks you had her parked is not normal. Unless you have a security system draining a small amount of current all of the time, there is nothing else on that bike that is drawing anything when the switch is off.

It could be that your battery is on it's last leg. Or it could be that you have a stator going bad. If the stator is going bad, then the battery is not receiving a full charge when you are riding. This will gradually pull down a battery, making you think it's a battery problem, when in fact it's a bad stator. I speak from experience on this with my 2000 RK Classic.

If the stator is going bad, you can usually detect a rancid burnt smell in the primary oil. You can remove the derby cover with the bike on a jack and take a whiff. If it stinks, then it's usually the stator. Good luck with the diagnosis.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
scoooter9
Advanced

Check for your voltage drop with the meter hooked up while trying to start it. That will load the battery and tell you more about battery condition.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 AM
GULFCOASTBAGGER
Novice

New Battery fixed her right up! Guys I sincerely appreciate all of the advice! Decided to go back with the HD battery after reading a few threads. $ 185 was hard to fork out, but the peace of mind is priceless

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I don't play with is batteries. With all the computer controlled items on these bikes low voltage will make you chase problems that aren't really there.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
One thing I don't play with is batteries. With all the computer controlled items on these bikes low voltage will make you chase problems that aren't really there.
Hey Tex, it sounds like you are speaking from experience here. Can you share? Things like blinker problems, blown fuses, guages doing funny things?

I put my battery on a tender if I'm not riding for more than a few weeks, but if the battery is 3-4 years old, I'm thinking about replacing it. I don't want the headaches.

Mike

Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you do need a battery go to Batteries Plus and get the same Harley (Deka) that Harley sells for a little less money and a two year warranty instead of the Harley one year. Although It doesnt sound like a problem for you guys in the cooler climates but in Arizona you need that extra protection also the battery plus battery has more cold cranking amps.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:28 PM
RoadKingJMA
Stage II

So...I've jumped through all the hoops, but my 2008 RK Classic will not start. It will not display the security code when I go thru the on off on off on of the power switch and press twice and release of the left turn signal and press once of the right turn signal. The security code does...not...display. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Road King won't start