Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

255 Cam, With Stock Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default 255 Cam, With Stock Mufflers?

I'm considering a cam upgrade for my 96" FLHT. The dealer recommends the SE255. The bike is stock except for a K&N airbox and TTS. Most important to me is a bump in the 2,000-3,500 range, I'm seldom at 4,000 rpm. I really don't want to be any louder. How restrictive will the stock mufflers be? If they will prevent this cam from reaching most of it's potential I'll just leave well enough alone. Has anyone here done cams w/o changing the exhaust?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the setup I have K&N, SE 255, and stock mufflers. I like the power and the sound. The stock pipes are louder with this cam but still better sound then most pipes I have had. I have more low end torque with the stock mufflers and do not notice much hp loss as I rarely run my bike over 4K rpm. I also do not have a problem with heat so I am guessing they are not that restrictive. I would recommend this setup to anyone with a 96 c.i.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

1.) you may see a slight difference, but it would be not give you the potential of that change--- and really not worth the expense, slight loss of reliability and reduced MPG.

so open up the exhaust to more flow.

you don't state the year..so assuming you have a catalytic converter ( some 2009, all 2010~12 ) have it removed- or replace the header pipes.

free flowing mufflers are available with out being louder, check the supertrapp supermegs, the stacked disc system allows more exhaust gas flow than stock and reduced sound levels.

and: this is important- your motor is designed to provide better efficiency at higher rpms than you are running--- 2800-4000 is where the easy power is AND this provides proper oil pressure and volume--- oil is a crucial part of the cooling system and more oil = more heat carried out of the motor.

OLD Harleys can run at lower rpms, the motors were smaller, less heat was produced, mixture could be richer and the timing retarded.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-03-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
1.) you may see a slight difference, but it would be not give you the potential of that change--- and really not worth the expense or loss of reliability.

so open up the exhaust to more flow.

you don't state the year..so assuming you have a catalytic converter ( some 2009, all 2010~12 ) have it removed.

free flowing mufflers are available with out being louder, check the supertrapp supermegs, the stacked disc system allows more exhaust gas flow than stock and reduced sound levels.
Thanks fireaxxe, very helpful for me.

Mike I see I didn't mention the year, it's a 2009 and no catalytic converter. I tried probably the next quietest slip-ons, SE 4" Touring Mufflers for a year and decided I just prefer the stock mufflers.
I *thought* I recall reading the exhaust change for 2009 actually flowed pretty well, better than the previous system. I was hoping a more open exhaust would benefit higher rpm and less so under say 4,000 where I run, so it wouldn't make much difference.

Your advice of 2800-4000 is probably a good suggestion. I am really only in the 2300-2600 range when no or little acceleration is called for, and in a lower gear. I think 65-70 mph in 6th is around 2700 isn't it? I know I spend a good deal of time at 65-75 in 6th gear and that's where I'd like to see a little more torque.

Last edited by Ridewva; 11-03-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to check into picking up a set of '10 and up non-cat CVO mufflers if you can find take-offs on Ebay. They breathe better than the stock mufflers as both sides are open (on the stock mufflers the left side is restricted), but they're quieter than the SE Performance Touring mufflers. I'm running 255 cams and when I'm on the gas my CVOs sound good but not so loud that they're tiring on long trips.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the tip on 2010 + SE mufflers. I may keep an eye out for a set. I know my 49 state legal Touring mufflers had less restriction as both sides felt pretty similar. On my stock mufflers the left side flows a little *more* than the right. It seems backwards but I confirmed it by checking a couple other 09 tourers.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything I've read on the 255s has indicated they would be perfect for a stock 96. Sure mufflers would help but IF you don't have the CAT they will breath fine. JMHO from reading from many on this board...

Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Thanks for the tip on 2010 + SE mufflers. I may keep an eye out for a set. I know my 49 state legal Touring mufflers had less restriction as both sides felt pretty similar. On my stock mufflers the left side flows a little *more* than the right. It seems backwards but I confirmed it by checking a couple other 09 tourers.
I mixed my sides up, as you've said it's the right that's restricted as can be seen in this pic of my '09 US-spec stock mufflers.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Thanks fireaxxe, very helpful for me.

Mike I see I didn't mention the year, it's a 2009 and no catalytic converter. I tried probably the next quietest slip-ons, SE 4" Touring Mufflers for a year and decided I just prefer the stock mufflers.
I *thought* I recall reading the exhaust change for 2009 actually flowed pretty well, better than the previous system. I was hoping a more open exhaust would benefit higher rpm and less so under say 4,000 where I run, so it wouldn't make much difference.

Your advice of 2800-4000 is probably a good suggestion. I am really only in the 2300-2600 range when no or little acceleration is called for, and in a lower gear. I think 65-70 mph in 6th is around 2700 isn't it? I know I spend a good deal of time at 65-75 in 6th gear and that's where I'd like to see a little more
torque.
Well if you switch out the stock 32 tooth drive gear for a 30 tooth the bike will accelerate better and bring your cruise rpms up which gets you into the motors sweet spot giving you more response. I am planning on doing this with my dyna this winter. The gear is about 150 bucks,you can use the same belt which saves a few bucks. I don't want to tear into my motor yet for fear of reliability issues and this mod works like putting gears in a car.
Just a suggestion

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by klaybus
Everything I've read on the 255s has indicated they would be perfect for a stock 96. Sure mufflers would help but IF you don't have the CAT they will breath fine. JMHO from reading from many on this board...
Thanks, good to hear. One reason I'm considering the 255 is because it's what my dealer recommends and they may be having a sale on labor and parts this winter. And they've been pretty good to me.

Twinrider; my mufflers are probably the same then. What's interesting is at idle and just above (as I mentioned) the left side flows a little more. But with more throttle they seem to even out?

Shredding rubber; I know I've heard some lowering the overall gearing but I'm not sure I want the additional engine rpm at higher cruising speeds (over 70 mph). I may adjust my shift points up to a little higher rpm though.

Quick Reply: 255 Cam, With Stock Mufflers?