Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long and how much is a typical dyno tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How long and how much is a typical dyno tuning

What is the average time spent on a dyno for tuning SERT, PCV, PV, TTS etc, etc. Ive called a few indy places including dealerships and they all say anywhere from 3-4 hours time. I don't know all that goes into a dyno tune, but that sure seems like a long time to dial in.
In my case I have the PCV and a map from FuelMoto. It runs very good, but I want to know if my settings are spot on or if it can be tweaked even more.
I thought an hour or two tops on dyno would be more than enough, but 3-4 hours seems like overkill. Trying to stretch my dollars for some other mods as well.
Again, I don't know all thats involved, just an initial gut reaction. So those of you that have had your bikes dyno'd, how long did it take, how much was the final cost and what tuner do you have.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Intensefab
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a hour or two dyno and had to go back two or three times because it was not right.

My two best tunes have been three to five hours and both times the bike ran like a top! Both of these have run three to four hundred for the labor.

Let them take their time and get it right, two pulls on the dyno won't get the tune where it needs to be.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

I had mine dyno tuned after the dealer did the engine build. Not a good job for the $500 or so that they charged me. They charge by the hour so it benefits them to take their time.
I took the bike to an indy, Skips Cycles Winchester, VA and for a flat fee of $269 he found another 12 hp and 20 some tq.
Skip's shop took a few hours to do the tune which included changing the clutch spring pressure plate.

Last edited by EasternSP; 11-23-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Dealers typically charge 3 hours, and in my opinion you often wont get a very good tune. Tuners with experience and a reputation will charge north of $700 for a much better tune. You may find a good indy tuner that will do a good job for less, but I would think thats pretty rare.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:50 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3 to 4 hours seems to be the common response. I tuned my bike myself and can say that real road tuning took me much longer than 3 hours. I would not pay an hourly rate to a tuner. A good tuner will charge a flat rate and do it until its done right, even if it take longer.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local dealership charges 3 hours of labor for a dyno tune at 91.00 / hr.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shutterbug
What is the average time spent on a dyno for tuning SERT, PCV, PV, TTS etc, etc. Ive called a few indy places including dealerships and they all say anywhere from 3-4 hours time. I don't know all that goes into a dyno tune, but that sure seems like a long time to dial in.
In my case I have the PCV and a map from FuelMoto. It runs very good, but I want to know if my settings are spot on or if it can be tweaked even more.
I thought an hour or two tops on dyno would be more than enough, but 3-4 hours seems like overkill. Trying to stretch my dollars for some other mods as well.
Again, I don't know all thats involved, just an initial gut reaction. So those of you that have had your bikes dyno'd, how long did it take, how much was the final cost and what tuner do you have.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Mine took about 6.5 hours, but they only billed me for 4. Anything less than 4, is not a long enough time to dial it in. IMO.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine was $450 (flat rate) and took around 3+ hours, but all I had done was Stage 1 and Pipes and Headers. Bike runs great.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I paid 325.00 and the first attempt took 3 hours. Not happy with the mid throttle response I took the scoot back and they spent another 2 hours getting her dialed in. No additional charges. I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
jackja25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine at an Indy took about 3.5 hours. And my indy only charged $280. He allowed me to watch and explain everything he was doing. It was pretty interesting.

Quick Reply: How long and how much is a typical dyno tuning