Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illumination Textile Pants

Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Not sure what the big deal is about night time reflectivity of the Illumination model. Most decent textile touring gear from any manufacturer is covered with reflective material. My Olympia jacket and pants have large 3M reflective patches on the font, back and side of the legs.

Another easy fix is to put reflective tape on your helmet.

600 denier polyester is not up to the same standard as Cordura or even nylon when it comes to abrasion resistance. Most better quality textile gear uses Cordura regardless of brand.

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-18-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread isn't about illumination. It was started as a question about versatility of the HD Illumination Textile Pants - waterproof? warm? restrictive with liner in, etc.

I agree, if visibility is your main concern, there are lots of manufacturers out there that can light you up l like a glow-ball.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Kermevavs
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking for the optimal cold-weather pant

Originally Posted by Krow
@Kermevavs. I've had the jacket for two years. Still looking for the optimal cold-weather pant.
Yea! I have tried all sorts of Goretex overtrousers with liners and I get a wet crotch! Although I have Harley rain trousers (pants to you guys) and so has my wife and these are great, but not so comfortable over my Hood Kevlar type jeans.

I am thinking ex-army surplus cold weather gear may be better - we can get English, Dutch, German, Danish or Swedish issue stuff and it is very inexpensive.

I'll let you know how I get on!

K

Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
2002FLSTCI
Advanced

I have the jacket and the pants. Jacket is outstanding in all ways. I can wear it year round. Summer without the liner, winter with layering. Waterproof. Now for the pants. Summer is not a good time to wear them (at least here in the south), they are way too warm even without the liner. The liner makes them waterproof only, no insulation value. I have worned them with the liner in temps down to upper 30s with no problem. I haven't been in a down pour yet with them but a light rain, they seem fine and I stayed dry. The only issue I have with them is I can not get them on or off with the liner on while in uniform. The Army boots won't fit through the liner bottom. Without the liner, they are ok but my boots hang up on the inner mesh lining and it takes some work to get them on or off. In my civies, there is no problem cause I slip my boots on after I put them on and take my boots off before slipping them off. I wish they had a longer leg zipper. If they did, there wouldn't be any issues for me while commuting back and forth from base.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002FLSTCI
I have the jacket and the pants. Jacket is outstanding in all ways. I can wear it year round. Summer without the liner, winter with layering. Waterproof. Now for the pants. Summer is not a good time to wear them (at least here in the south), they are way too warm even without the liner. The liner makes them waterproof only, no insulation value. I have worned them with the liner in temps down to upper 30s with no problem. I haven't been in a down pour yet with them but a light rain, they seem fine and I stayed dry. The only issue I have with them is I can not get them on or off with the liner on while in uniform. The Army boots won't fit through the liner bottom. Without the liner, they are ok but my boots hang up on the inner mesh lining and it takes some work to get them on or off. In my civies, there is no problem cause I slip my boots on after I put them on and take my boots off before slipping them off. I wish they had a longer leg zipper. If they did, there wouldn't be any issues for me while commuting back and forth from base.
Now that's what I call a worthwhile review. Thanks.
I still haven't gotten any lined mc pants. I wear long-johns and chaps in temperatures down to about 40 deg f. For colder weather, like today where it's hovering just above freezing, I wear a pair of snow/ski pants I got at Costco for about $40. With my heated jacket liner and gloves, I'm "smiley-faced" comfortable.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
2002FLSTCI
Advanced

I talked to the wife last night about putting a zipper in. She said she could do it. So I am going to get a couple of 10-12" zippers and have them installed on the back of the liner. Will let you know how it goes. Also, on another positive note. It was pouring rain this morning and 40 degress. I stayed warm and dry!

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002FLSTCI
Could likely get zippers installed at any taylor shop for $20 or so. I have the opposite problem, I hate sweating like crazy if it's hot and I'm in traffic, or hitting a lot of lights, anyone have suggestions for pants that allow airflow and still offer protection from road rash?