Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil Vs Red Line and air bubbles P2

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Amsoil Vs Red Line and air bubbles P2

I went back to Red Line 20w-60w after reading Amsoil Tech responce.

None of the conditions they stated were even close,

"Over / Under Filling" WTF I check my oil hot everyother ride

"Cold Temp / Water" - I live in Calif. oil temp gauge reads 260deg.

This is my thread, with pic.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/710262-amsoil-new-to-me-air-in-oil.html

Vincent;

Air bubbles can also be referred to as the oil’s foaming tendencies. This is a measured performance property and the results below show that AMSOIL 20W50 Motorcycle retains no air in any of the three sequences the test includes:

Foam (ASTM D-892, Sequence I, II & III)
0/0/0

Air is commonly mixed with the oil, and the test tells how long it takes for the air to separate out under lab conditions. You may find this varies a bit under use conditions and more air is temporarily trapped in the oil under certain conditions, including cold temperatures, over filling or under filling the reservoir, and/or condensation (water) accumulation in the oil.

Byron Selbrede
Technical Services

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1 AMSOIL Center, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL:bselbrede@amsoil.com
PHONE:715-392-7101
FAX:715-392-3097

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trackadaptor
I went back to Red Line 20w-60w after reading Amsoil Tech responce.
Why Red Line 20W60? Why not 20W50 like Red Line sells in their Big Twin kit? Just curious, not trying to restart the oil wars.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've found those bubles on my HD stick with any oil. Redline too. I've tried most of the high-end oils from Mobil 1 to AMSOIL, Redline, Royal Purple, etc... and they ALL had those bubbles. So, I was looking at the stick with all the indents and writing and tried a smooth heavy gauge wire. Guess what? No bubbles. It's the stick, not the oil

Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get why your upset by their reply?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Wink

Originally Posted by equandt
Why Red Line 20W60? Why not 20W50 like Red Line sells in their Big Twin kit? Just curious, not trying to restart the oil wars.

Harley San Jose stocks 20W60 and they recomend using it... I never ran an oil cooler, even on my trips to Las Vegas , Ariz., Texas etc.. I should...

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=111&pcid=21

Amsoil responce "Cold" - that was the kicker for me - cold when do you ever check your oil cold ? and cold in Calif. when ?

The stick , LoL - Amsoil could have covered that in there responce as well - plastic Vs metal - hmmmmmm

For me I just never ever seen air bubbles, my '07 FLHX sold it at 60k miles and changed the oil every 3k miles , never saw it , when I ran Mobil 1, and Red Line no air bubbles, so for me it's just a mental thing, I do not like to see bubbles in my oil....

Last word: Redline States:

"All products are completely compatible with other conventional and synthetic motor oils"

I could not find it on the bottle of the Amsoil or Mobil 1 , never know when you need to add a quart in lets say Gerlach, NV - not that it would stop me from puting any tpe of oil stuck in the middle of BFE

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I've only noticed the bubbling on this bike (HDs). I've owned quite a few diff bikes. Just figured it was a TC thing. Its not going to hurt anything I know I'm running a good oil. TCs run a sump and I figured that might have something to do with it?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, this is directly from the Amsoil website (I assume similar from M1 as well) so you won't have any issues on mixing oil should you need to.

MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils; however, mixing oils may shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motorcycle oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't matter. They're both great oils as there are many others. I like Redline but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is better than another.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior

They should put this on thier bottles/ never saw this on the web site:

AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils;

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
Doesn't matter. They're both great oils as there are many others. I like Redline but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is better than another.
Agree: just sharing my experience with Amsoil after 2k miles

Old 11-29-2011, 06:06 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried Amsoil about 5 years ago. Like you I wasn't very happy with it. I switched over to the Redline 20/60 and never looked back. Great oil for hot weather riding. I have made plenty of trips across the desert with very good results. One thing I noticed right away is that the Redline holds it's viscosity a lot better then any other oil I had run.