Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealling front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
mudbeast2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealling front brakes

My front brakes are squealing like little piggies! But as soon as you touch the front brake lever they stop. The stealer says it is normal, another shop says I need floating rotors because the problem lies with my stock rotors because they are polished but I say there stock. I want to try new pads because mine are wearing crooked. What pads do you guys suggest?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbeast2
My front brakes are squealing like little piggies! But as soon as you touch the front brake lever they stop. The stealer says it is normal, another shop says I need floating rotors because the problem lies with my stock rotors because they are polished but I say there stock. I want to try new pads because mine are wearing crooked. What pads do you guys suggest?

This is what I use on the front
http://www.jpcycles.com/Product/240-710
It does help to rebuild the front calipers everytime you replace pads( brakes tend to drag alittle) but this is on the old style harley calipers....not so much on the brembos.

later
John

Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbeast2
If your pads are wearing "crooked", you may have a piston that is hanging up from crud in it. Another words, one piston is freer than the other. Take off the caliper and take the pistons out, clean the pistons and replace the o-rings. Don't forget the the lube, it comes with the new o-rings and an instruction sheet.

If you don't do this, expect another set of pads to wear crooked and your rotors will warp from the excess heat of rubbing.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,880 Likes on 8,422 Posts

There was a service bulletin a while back about front squealing brakes. The instruction was to remove the rotors and swap the right for left and left for right so the center pattern was reversed.
For the dealer to tell ya, "That's normal". Ask him why in the world would Harley engineers design the brakes to squeal.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
There was a service bulletin a while back about front squealing brakes. The instruction was to remove the rotors and swap the right for left and left for right so the center pattern was reversed.
For the dealer to tell ya, "That's normal". Ask him why in the world would Harley engineers design the brakes to squeal.
I would investigate this. I had the same problem and the dealership followed the bulletin and the problem was solved. Based on your pic...I think it might help

Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 AM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just traded up for a 07 road king a week ago and I noticed the squeeling sound from the front brake. Not really a squeeling but a noticable rubbing sound that went away with slight pressure on the lever. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. My rotors were replaced when I bought the bike because they were warped. If this is a common problem why are the dealers saying it's normal?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Normal to have a slight metallic "shhhhh" rubbing noise which is reduced when the brake is applied slightly.

if the discs are warped it'll be more apparent

squealing brakes are caused by the pads vibrating when applied.

hard pads are more likely to squeal, but last a long time

soft pads are quieter, shorter life and cause more dirt

squealing is reduced by using an anti squeak paste or rtv silicone to the back side of the pads when they are put on ( this absorbs and dampens vibrations)

collected brake dirt and dust behind the pads and binding pins (on which the discs slide) can also cause noise problems- this needs to be clean and the pins lubed correctly

chamfering the leading edge of the pads 45º can also help

when replacing pads it is good practice to clean the calipers of dirt and dust and when pushing in the pistons, cracking the bleeder to expel the fluid nearest the caliper as that will be the most degraded.
riders with abs should check the manual for any special procedures

when selecting pads, keep in mind the hard/soft trade offs with either stopping distance should be much the same.
I have had good luck with stock H-D pads on baggers, and also EBC pads on my FXRP.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-09-2011 at 02:24 AM.