Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Stopped Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same problem. Mine was simple to figure out. To put it bluntly your cruise will not engage if it think the brakes are on.

I am guessing if you checked you might notice that your brake lights are always on. That was the case on mine thus I experienced the exact problem you are finding. I found that I could push the front brake lever forward a little bit and brake lights would go off thus cruise could engage.

I thought it was an issue inside the brake lever since it wasn't releasing all the way. Come to find out it was the master cylinder that was the issue. I had a rebuilt master cylinder put on and all was good.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
RDK09
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did u figure out the problem Terra? The suspense is killing me!!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I feel like a dummy

Originally Posted by RDK09
So did u figure out the problem Terra? The suspense is killing me!!
Well, after much reading, watching the response from this fine group and checking all the connections to make sure all was as it should be I finally found the problem. Sometimes the solutions are quite easy if one will only read the instructions. The reason the cruise control would not engage on my bike was simple. After re-reading the electrical repair manual it stated; to engage the cruise control one must be in 4th, 5th or 6th gear and be moving at least 30 mph and not be exceeding 85 mph. In my case, I was trying to engage the CC in 3rd gear will trying to adjust something on the bike, I can't remember what. So, the moral of the story is simple; WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
I feel like a dummy.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Glad you figured out the issue & no worries - we've all been there. Men never read instructions...

Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 AM
utlonghorns416
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2009 street glide went out to. Harley fixed under a recall, take less then 30mins for them to install.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
Well, after much reading, watching the response from this fine group and checking all the connections to make sure all was as it should be I finally found the problem. Sometimes the solutions are quite easy if one will only read the instructions. The reason the cruise control would not engage on my bike was simple. After re-reading the electrical repair manual it stated; to engage the cruise control one must be in 4th, 5th or 6th gear and be moving at least 30 mph and not be exceeding 85 mph. In my case, I was trying to engage the CC in 3rd gear will trying to adjust something on the bike, I can't remember what. So, the moral of the story is simple; WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
I feel like a dummy.
the cruise on my bike works in 3rd gear. i know, i use it all the time to keep at 35 on post. them mps can be hell

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
the cruise on my bike works in 3rd gear. i know, i use it all the time to keep at 35 on post. them mps can be hell
Don't know what to say other than the manual for my 09 UC clearly states you must be in at least 4th gear and traveling at least 30 MPH. Section # 4.27 \ DTC PO 577. Maybe your model is different. I know one thing for sure, my CC will not engage in 3rd gear at or above 30 mph. That's a fact Jake!!

Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
Don't know what to say other than the manual for my 09 UC clearly states you must be in at least 4th gear and traveling at least 30 MPH. Section # 4.27 \ DTC PO 577. Maybe your model is different. I know one thing for sure, my CC will not engage in 3rd gear at or above 30 mph. That's a fact Jake!!
huh, thats weird. i checked my 2007 manual, 2010 manual, and 2012 manual. none of them mention anything about having to be in 4th gear. they do mention that you have to be traveling over 30 mph and less than 85 mph....

Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Use my CC all the time and can verify, must be 30mph or above, and in 3rd gear or above

Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
Yep, the rear brake light switch went out on my 2010 EGC and the cruz went out too. Try unplugging a wire from the switch and see if it works then. Also, my brake light stayed on when the switch went out. unplugging the switch will make the light go off and the cruz to work. Atleast on my ride it did. Hope this helps...
Exactly the same scenario with my 09 BargeGlide.

I'd be checking the brake light to see if it was "on" if I was Terrabella (OP).

EDIT ADD: I hate it when I don't read all of the posts before posting--- good to read your back on deck Terra

Last edited by V2Evo96; 12-18-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add content

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Stopped Engaging