Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   One one have kuryakyn Driving-Lights (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/715116-one-one-have-kuryakyn-driving-lights.html)

larry69fatboy 12-13-2011 06:54 PM

One one have kuryakyn Driving-Lights

Thinking of getting these... anyone have them? and how do you like them?

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3/Driving-Lights

CurtisO 12-13-2011 07:27 PM

I had the Road Glide version. I found it didn't throw light down the road, mainly right in front of bike. Kinda like the factory fog lights on my truck. I took them off. The Road Glide looks cleaner up front without them. Pretty pricey also.

SG09RIDER 12-13-2011 09:15 PM

I have them on my '09 SG. They look good in the day, don't really help much at night. Chrome on bezels is starting to separate. I wouldn't make the same choice again.

drukanfu 12-13-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by CurtisO (Post 9140788)
I had the Road Glide version. I found it didn't throw light down the road, mainly right in front of bike. Kinda like the factory fog lights on my truck. I took them off. The Road Glide looks cleaner up front without them. Pretty pricey also.

Same here, they are really bright but don't throw the light down the road like I expected. They help a little when you go slow in high deer areas, I would never buy them again or suggest any one to buy them !

eathomps 12-13-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by drukanfu (Post 9141408)
Same here, they are really bright but don't throw the light down the road like I expected. They help a little when you go slow in high deer areas, I would never buy them again or suggest any one to buy them !

Good feedback as I've been wondering about these for my RG. Not trying to hijack the thread, but can anyone offer similar feedback regarding MotoLights? They have several beam patterns and also the LED option, but the website doesn't really show what the different options give you on the road. At the prices they charge I would like to get it right the first time.

PNSHVL 12-13-2011 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I put them on my Road Glide about a year ago and all I can say is wow!, what a difference at night. Maybe you didn't have them aimed right but I love mine and I can actually see at night now.

JetD 12-13-2011 10:38 PM

Have 'em

I have the light set up (not the included mounting hardware) that I used on my Heritage for several years... and removed to install on the Ultra.
I like them, not so much for "light down the road", but for others to see me. They throw off a 'flood' type beam (someone mentioned above similar to a fog light), so when that's useful, these will do it. I agree on the lotsa light in near front situations.
If you use them, don't buy the Kury replacement bulbs, you can get the same halogen replacements at the local hardware store for $3 or so as well as in both 'spot' or 'flood' and 27w or 35w or 50w versions... I'm running the 50w floods right now and when they expire, I've a pair of 50w spots I'm going to try.
Not certain I'd buy a new set, the price is much higher than it was several years ago -- but I'm glad I've got em.
My 2 cents since you asked.

SG09RIDER 12-14-2011 09:56 AM

I agree that they do make you more visible in the daylight. Is that a major hardware chain where you can buy the 50w bulbs? I'm having trouble finding them here.

Ultra89Rider 12-14-2011 11:55 AM

I have them on my '09 and really love them. I have them on all of the time at night.
True, they are not lights that give a long reach down the road. They light up like a fog light. I found that the bulbs that come stock are tinted "Blue" to give the look of the HID light when looking at the light, but not the light of them. When I replaced the bulb with ones bought at Walmart, the light pattern was much brighter and gave a larger one too.

I think the look the lights give to the Fairing are good too. It is core chrome for my black Fairing.

JetD 12-14-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SG09RIDER (Post 9142645)
I agree that they do make you more visible in the daylight. Is that a major hardware chain where you can buy the 50w bulbs? I'm having trouble finding them here.

I have found them at ACE hardware; walmart; and others. Look in the lighting sections. The way I discovered this availability is a couple of 'traclights' went out in the house and in my search for replacement bulbs I found that they were the same as the high dollar ones that Kury sells for replacement bulbs.... only much less expensive... and choices of types and wattage.... they've been working fine for me.