Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam in crankcase (DUMASS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Seafoam in crankcase (DUMASS)

Well I changed my oil and did a 600 mile ride, cold but nice weather 50 - 70 F, no rain. Came home and went on 3 week business trip. I get back and decide to check oil before going for a ride, realize at that point that I didnt screw in the dipstick before I went on the 600 mile ride. Frikken idiot I am. It was just sitting there, not screwed in tight, I screwed it in and could feel the grit on the threads, I knew I had dirt in the crank case. I put a half can of Seafoam in the crank and did a 40 mile ride at high RPM. I dumped the oil and it was definately blacker than the brown it was before doing the ride. I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up the cheapest 20 50 I could find, and changed oil and filter, the oil that came out was definitely dirtier than normal at 600 miles, it was jet black. When I drained the catch pan it had some grit in the bottom, the seafoam seemed to clean out and residue in the motor. I put the Auto Zone 20/50 in the motor with about a third of a can of seafoam , now did 200 miles of Miami city riding and the oil is getting black pretty quick. Will flush and change again this weekend, will use Advance 20/50 with no Seafoam then switch to Mobil 1 V again. I have to say this Seafoam cleaning has quieted my motor significantly, I dont know how or what the hell it is cleaning to do that but it is quieter. Also noticed way less decel pop, I don't know why this is the case either, I know my bike well so I know it aint my mind playing tricks.I think I will do this cleaning every third oil change from here on. Just a FYI to the forum.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It could have cleaned up some sludge. I have used it in a car before that had a sticky lifter, to reduce the noise.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope everything is okay Jerry.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As far as the sea foam thing goes, it is a good practice to dump some in prior to the oil change. It is petroleum based so it will not hurt anything and does a good job of cleaning. I have used it for many years on all types of motors with good success. Your dumbass move with dipstick, **** happens......we have all done something along those lines once or twice. You flushed out the motor and changed the oil so i wouldn't sweat it.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seafoam is great stuff. However if you have been using mobil 1 v-twin you shouldn't have any sludge in the first place. Isn't that mobil's game. Keeping the internals spotless. Unless of course mobil is pulling another fast one on the consumer.
Glad the seafoam cleaned you up. I got under 20k kms on my bike. I am going to seafoam it after the 1st 2000 kms I put on er next year.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 PM
streeter
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sludge will build up in the case of the motor whether Mobil one or any Syn along with dino oil. Having said that, if the motor sees regular oil changes it will not build up sludge. These motors don't see the operating conditions to develop sludge such as the automotive world has with cold environment, stop and go, short trips etc. and at that, with regular oil changes it is non existent. In the old days with in efficient cooling systems, rich fuel systems, rich chokes, poorly designed intakes, high quench combustion chambers, high tolerances, infrequent oil changes and older oil formulations, ye there was
sludge build up. Today it is more mythical than fact. JMO

Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I use it every 5th oil change.
Add the recommended amount, ride about 50 miles then change oil.
The oil is definitely dirtier after I use it.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM
toxic donkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, sea foam is great. I use it on my ss in te oil andto clean top end by letting a vac hose suck about a half can from a cup while running. Never used it on a motorcycle but this sounds good.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new bikes have threaded dipsticks??? I didn't know this. Learn something every day

Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
The new bikes have threaded dipsticks??? I didn't know this. Learn something every day
They do. Could be that too many had become projectiles when they popped out, LOL

Quick Reply: Seafoam in crankcase (DUMASS)