Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headset Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:32 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headset Options

I'm going to be picking up my new 2012 Ultra early next week. This will be my first experience with the built in intercom system. I was told the bike will come with one headset but I want a second one for the GF when we ride 2 up. Looked online at the Boom Audio communications headset and did a little price comparison. If I get it from Surdyke it will cost me about $108 with shipping. Buying it from the dealer will run about $9 more after tax and the 10% discount I get on parts and accessories from buying the bike there. My question is, are there any other headset options that I should consider other than the Boom Audio, and those of you who have either the Boom Audio or another brand are you happy with them?

PS...I dont want to go the J&M helmet with built-in headset route, we both wear half helmets and like what we have helmet-wise.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

the factory ones work well for me and my wife. You can often find new ones being sold for less in the classifieds by people who don't use them.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 AM
NJShoreScott
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VT, there are a number of options, and I am sure you will hear about all of them as the one you have to get. In my mind, with a half helmet, they are all pretty damn close, and the differences would only be noticeable to a true audiophile, and even then he/she would probably not look at on-top of a Harley as an optimal listening environment.

I think the first decision you have to make is do you want an over the ear option like the boom audio, or a slide-in option like J&M's (Forum Sponsor - http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....-ICD284-HHU-HO). I have both, but prefer the J&M because having something wrapped around my ear is not comfortable for me. The J&M is pricey, and I probably could have found an equivalent option somewhere else for less.

iMC (another Forum Sponsor) does sell one of each kind and tends to be less pricey than J&M (http://imcmoto.com/harley-davidson-u...-headsets.html). And I believe I read on the forums that iMC makes the HD branded headsets.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

....iMC (another Forum Sponsor) does sell one of each kind and tends to be less pricey than J&M (http://imcmoto.com/harley-davidson-u...-headsets.html). And I believe I read on the forums that iMC makes the HD branded headsets.
IMC does make the half helmet Harley Boom Audio headset. This is the same headset. However, it is not black and does not have HD branding. You can get it for 70 bux with the forum discount and two year warranty. Some folks have complained it is uncomfortable. Not so in my experience. The key is to put the ear piece with the wire/microphone on the right side. I can wear it all day...

Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Krow
Tourer

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
...The key is to put the ear piece with the wire/microphone on the right side...
I don't understand what you mean by this. Wouldn't that put the set upside down - ie with the wrap-around under instead of over the ears? Wouldn't it keep slipping down without something over the ears? Or am I missing something?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan on using the VOX option on your intercom, them I would suggest buying a matching HD headset. I have the two Boom Headsets that came with my CVO, and two J&M headsets. Both brands are good products. I prefer the sound quality of the J&M units for listening to the stereo, but the Boom is pretty good also. However, we've had problems getting the VOX adjusted properly when the girlfriend and I use mismatched headsets. The sensitivity on the mics is different between the two brands, so it's impossible to get the VOX adjust to work.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Hopefully you are aware that the one included with pruchase is for a 3/4 helmet. I purchased another Boom headset for my wife's helmet and one channel died after 15 months. When riding with our half helmets I use the speakers and we can talk back and forth just fine. I am looking at replacing both of the Boom headsets I have now with J&M as they are a forum sponsor and also located locally here in Tucson.

I also found that with the Boom headsets that they tend to distort quite a bit. I understand that we are talking about small speakers here, but I expect a little better quality that they are. JMHO.