Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Rear suspension opinions

Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
My 05 King is a Custom with 12" shocks also, and my experience with the stock air shocks was exactly like yours, Alan.

I know that Ohlin's are the pinnacle, but I simply couldn't justify that kind of expense. I'm hoping, and believing that the Progressive shocks will be a major improvement, though maybe not the pinnacle of choices. That said, if the OP can afford and justify the expense, my reading would suggest that those are about as good as it gets for aftermarket shocks.
When I bought my Ohlins(about 18 months ago) they were less than 500. I still think they are less than 550 for the #2 which are, when set up correctly, an unbelievably good shock. Spending more money to get the #3 version is nice, but certainly NOT necessary.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
When I bought my Ohlins(about 18 months ago) they were less than 500. I still think they are less than 550 for the #2 which are, when set up correctly, an unbelievably good shock. Spending more money to get the #3 version is nice, but certainly NOT necessary.
Jeez....I was under the impression that they were closer to they $1000 range. Hope I'm exceedingly happy with the Progressive's or I'm going to be pizzed!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Tj, got any info on which Ohlins you went with, part# maybe a pic or two for those of us still on the fence about which shock to go with?
His are the 3-3 from Howard at Motor Cycle Metal . they are appox a 13" shock gas and oil separated.

I agree if you have the $ it seems the Ohlins are the best set up out there and the discount from Motor Cycle metal makes a big difference in total price.

I weighed it all out and ordered a set of Progressive 940 on Monday for 459.00 and Ill give them a try. 2 of the guys in my area with SG have them and are happy with them and dont feel they are too stiff . Progressive will swap out the springs for the softer ones if they are too stiff and I live close enough to drop them off so if needed no additional cost there.

Im sure they will be an improvement over the HD Air Shocks

The following users liked this post:
Lucher (03-13-2021)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I went with the Ohlins #3 line from Motorcycle Metals , Howard gives a big discount to Forum members but they are still not cheap but worth every penny , the #2 Ohlins line with the forum discount is less than $100 more than what gipper paid for his 440's and a far superior shock , I don't care for the Progressive drop in springs , I tried them before and saw little improvement , I'm running the Progressive monotubes in my front end and love them for the price , Phat Performance has the best price on the monotubes

Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Jeez....I was under the impression that they were closer to they $1000 range. Hope I'm exceedingly happy with the Progressive's or I'm going to be pizzed!
You will more than likely be happy because you are comparing them to stock and it will be a much improved ride , if you rode a bike with Ohlin's and were comparing to them you would then be disappointed

Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
You will more than likely be happy because you are comparing them to stock and it will be a much improved ride , if you rode a bike with Ohlin's and were comparing to them you would then be disappointed
I'll take "much improved" at this stage! Good info for future reference though.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I know that Ohlin's are the pinnacle, but I simply couldn't justify that kind of expense.
Yes you can! You started this thread by asking for suggestions to improve your ride. I spent a lot of time on HDF reading through the many threads on shocks. What I observed is that a lot of members start looking for a cheap improvement, spend a lot of money buying several different sets of shocks, then eventually buy Ohlins. I took a short cut and bought them straight-away. You can do the same!

When you ride your bike with a set of custom-built Ohlins you will join the rest of the fans of that brand. Save yourself a lot of time and effort, get on the phone and talk to Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal. It will be the first day of the rest of your life!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned few times already in this thread, Ohlin's are the only way to go. If you want to do it once and do it right, call Howard at Motorcycle Metal. Great guy, and he'll be happy to chat with you.

Merry Christmas to me! #3-3

Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Billy45
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Hagans shocks. they are custom built and about midway price wise betweeen Ohlins and Progrissives.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Billy45
Check out Hagans shocks. they are custom built and about midway price wise betweeen Ohlins and Progrissives.
Being British old chap I have Hagons on my SuperLow. They are custom built as far as the springs go, to match rider weight, but not a patch on my Glide's Ohlins. Their Nitro models may be better, but you are getting close to Ohlins prices then.

Attached Thumbnails Road King Rear suspension opinions-ohlins_e.jpg  

Last edited by grbrown; 12-29-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King Rear suspension opinions