Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke on the phone today with the BDL guys and asked Scott (tech dept) why I should choose theirs over the OEM or the S/E compensator.

Essentially (and I'm paraphrasing) the BDL unit has a better designed lubrication system than the OEM stock or S/E unit.
The weak point is not necessarily in the spring pack or the mass weight of the OEM units, but largely in the design (or lack thereof) of adequate channels to direct lubricant into the bearing journal.

As I am understanding it, the BDL unit solves this issue and for that reason, is a better choice.

I don't know the mass weight of their unit or how it compared to the OEM, but if it's the same or even slightly more, then I'm good. If the spring packs are designed to absorb the impact at least as good or better than OEM, I'm good.
If it does indeed lubricate better than OEM, fabulous.

The price they quoted me was $197 plus shipping for my '07 bagger, so it's in line (or a tad less) than OEM and made right here in the US of A....Again.. I'm good with that.

I'm ordering this week, so I'll let ya'll know soon enough how it goes.

NOTE: - I got no dog in the fight save that I need a new unit to replace the burnt out one I just discovered on my bike.
I don't know the BDL guys and the only reason I called is because of a reference on a message board that said good things about them.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
Not correct..... The only 2010's that had the SE Compensator were the trikes.....The SE Compensator is standard on 2011 & up touring models.

I bought a end of year 2010 and it had the standard comp from the factory.
Thought so. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cujo
I spoke on the phone today with the BDL guys and asked Scott (tech dept) why I should choose theirs over the OEM or the S/E compensator.

I don't know the mass weight of their unit or how it compared to the OEM, but if it's the same or even slightly more, then I'm good. If the spring packs are designed to absorb the impact at least as good or better than OEM, I'm good. If it does indeed lubricate better than OEM, fabulous.

I'm ordering this week, so I'll let ya'll know soon enough how it goes.
The website claims its lighter than the OEM comp. My question is, how does this thing work? Does it have any compensating action at all or is it just a solid sprocket, as they claim it has no springs. The website tells almost nothing about its design.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The website claims its lighter than the OEM comp. My question is, how does this thing work? Does it have any compensating action at all or is it just a solid sprocket, as they claim it has no springs. The website tells almost nothing about its design.
I think you will find your answer here:
http://www.beltdrives.com/Install%20...les/20comp.pdf

Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

I installed the SE on my '07 RKC when it was apart for something else. The result was--no bang on startup, and much less jerkiness or "surge" at low speeds. Shifting seems the same. I got the "A" comp, so it's "new & improved", just like something you'ld by at the supermarket.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the SE comp was the cat's meow and the end all to end all.......and now this! Can the MOCO not get anything right????? I think I'll buy a horse!!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
I thought the SE comp was the cat's meow and the end all to end all.......and now this! Can the MOCO not get anything right????? I think I'll buy a horse!!
After the upgrade to the SE Compensator I believe it is the cat's meow!!!

It makes the bike much more enjoyable to me. No more BANG!, at startup. That BANG! is also hell on your stater. Starter is quieter. Shifting is much, much smoother because the clutch is more positive and predictable. No more surge in slow speed (friction zone) situations. The drive train feels tight, like it should.

I realize that a very few may have had problems with the SE comp. But, I don't think there is as many problems with the SE comp. as with the factory comp. It's a mechanical piece in a very harsh enviroment, a few are bound to fail. It's the nature of mechanical parts. Now that I have the SE Comp I realize my standard comp. was a bigger piece of crap.

Look at how many SE comps are out there in the 2011 and 2012 touring bikes. In my research the dealers are not seeing nearly as many problems with the SE comp.

If my SE Comp. were to later fail, I would'nt hesitate to replace it with another SE Comp. I think it makes the bike that much more enjoyable to ride.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Sierra
I realize that a very few may have had problems with the SE comp. But, I don't think there is as many problems with the SE comp. as with the factory comp. It's a mechanical piece in a very harsh enviroment, a few are bound to fail. It's the nature of mechanical parts. Now that I have the SE Comp I realize my standard comp. was a bigger piece of crap.
I share your enthusiasm for the SE comp's performance but commiserate with Mike too, as there are too many of these things going on lately. I had an Evo RK and never had any problems with the comp or anything else in the primary for >100k miles, except a seal and replaced clutch disks once. On this '07 first it was the clattering tranny, fixed with a $300 IDS, then the compensator, fixed with a $250 upgrade. Tranny and primary mainshaft bearings have been going out too often on these bikes, but I never heard of such problems on early TC's or Evos, just to name a few engineering issues I can think of off the top of my head.

Look at how many SE comps are out there in the 2011 and 2012 touring bikes. In my research the dealers are not seeing nearly as many problems with the SE comp.
I think the complaints on the SE comp were with older ones, like what I have that was purchased soon after introduction in '09. So far so good with mine, but I'm not going to be happy if I must upgrade again in the near future because of some engineering flaw.

Last edited by iclick; 01-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iClick...

Near as I can determine from talking with Scott, the spring pack is inside the thing that looks like a top hat.
There was a clear hesitancy on his part to get into too much detail, and if I was in his shoes, I might be the same way in a similar circumstance. - After all, anyone can call and claim they are a broke down biker while picking your brains for some R&D on a competitive product.

At any rate, I --think-- I have it close in my understanding, but I will be asking more questions when I call them back to order.
Specifically the mass weight, and clarifying the spring pack.

On an engineering note, if the springs are indeed encased in the top hat, it hopefully means they are already accurately centered and don't have to be fiddled with like on the S/E comp kit...

Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
towerhandjake
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Questions from a fella that doesn't know...

Is there a way to visually tell if a bike has the original comp or the SE comp?

How hard of a job to switcheroo, for the shadetree mechanic?

Is the audible "pop" one of those noises that you just can't miss?

I've had no problem with my '08 RK, but these are things I must know....

Quick Reply: SE Compensator...Just Do It!!!!!!