Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Gauge Lights to LED's

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the Gauge Lights to LED's

I'm changing out the 158 gauge bulbs for the LED Wedge Bulbs from Superbrightled's. Do I need to install load equalizers on each gauge I change out? I'm not doing the Speedo or Tach, just the 4 gauges.

Last edited by JJHOG; 01-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

no, they work fine.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
pearldrums2
Cruiser

I have been wanting to do this as well.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJHOG
I'm changing out the 158 gauge bulbs for the LED Wedge Bulbs from Superbrightled's. Do I need to install load equalizers on each gauge I change out? I'm not doing the Speedo or Tach, just the 4 gauges.

My 10 Limited tach and speedo are led lights but the other 4 are not. There is a very noticeable difference in the color of the light. Which led's are you going with? I was on Superbrights website and there are quite a few different types that replace the 158 bulb.

How many lights are in the 4 guages?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

There is 1 #158 bulb in each gauge. I have ordered the WLED-(x)5 in (x=R for Red) and also the WLED-(x)HP5, also in Red. The HP is suppose to be even brighter the the WLED-X5. The regular WLED-x5 is non polarized so it doesn't matter which way you insert the LED. The HP's are polarized so if it doesn't first work remove the bulb and reverse it. On each bulb you'll have to pull out the little wire from the wedge just a bit to make proper contact with the receptacle. I've order 2 extra bulbs of each as a spare and just in case I've got a defective delivery.

I choose red so that it will match the light from the radio. The tack and speedo are both on the amber side and since I wasn't changing them I decided to match the color of the radio with the gauges.

I see you're from the Steel City. What part? I'm from the South Hills by Whitehall and Castle Shannon area.

Last edited by JJHOG; 01-02-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

I put the Amber colored led's in my gauges. Come pretty close to matching the lamps in the speedo and tach. They did cause interference with my hidden antenna for the radio so I added a short antenna at the rear.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer

There is 1 #158 bulb in each gauge. I have ordered the WLED-(x)5 in (x=R for Red) and also the WLED-(x)HP5, also in Red. The HP is suppose to be even brighter the the WLED-X5. The regular WLED-x5 is non polarized so it doesn't matter which way you insert the LED. The HP's are polarized so if it doesn't first work remove the bulb and reverse it. On each bulb you'll have to pull out the little wire from the wedge just a bit to make proper contact with the receptacle. I've order 2 extra bulbs of each as a spare and just in case I've got a defective delivery.

I choose red so that it will match the light from the radio. The tack and speedo are both on the amber side and since I wasn't changing them I decided to match the color of the radio with the gauges.

I see you're from the Steel City. What part? I'm from the South Hills by Whitehall and Castle Shannon area.

Hey thanks for the reply. I am going to order some white led's so my 4 guages match the tach and speedo. When looking at their site they have a few different view angles, 32, 90 and 120. And they have cool white, warm white and natural white... ughhh. I just want to make sure what ever I order works correctly.

I also just noticed your from the Burgh. I live in the North Hills not far from North Park and Ross Park Mall. How does you bike run with the cams? I have a mostly stock 103 and have been on the fence about a set of cams.

John

Last edited by JC Turbo; 01-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JC Turbo
Hey thanks for the reply. I am going to order some white led's so my 4 guages match the tach and speedo. When looking at their site they have a few different view angles, 32, 90 and 120. And they have cool white, warm white and natural white... ughhh. I just want to make sure what ever I order works correctly.

I also just noticed your from the Burgh. I live in the North Hills not far from North Park and Ross Park Mall. How does you bike run with the cams? I have a mostly stock 103 and have been on the fence about a set of cams.

John
Bike is at shop now getting 103 upgrade and 255 cams now. I'll let you know. Call superbrightleds and ask them about which WLED bulb will matchup best with HD Speedily. Too bad about Zanotti's.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
JC Turbo
Tourer

Bike is at shop now getting 103 upgrade and 255 cams now. I'll let you know. Call superbrightleds and ask them about which WLED bulb will matchup best with HD Speedily. Too bad about Zanotti's.

Who is doing your 103 and cams? I never dealt with Zanotti. Bought two bikes from Three Rivers, will never deal with them again. Now I deal with Hot Metal HD or Highland HD and couldn't be happier.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:42 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JC Turbo
Who is doing your 103 and cams? I never dealt with Zanotti. Bought two bikes from Three Rivers, will never deal with them again. Now I deal with Hot Metal HD or Highland HD and couldn't be happier.
Bike is up at Hot Metal. Been doing business with AJ back when it was Heritage HD. Had Hot Metal do my V & H Power Dual Headers along with installing the HD Touring Pullback Bars. Very pleased with their work. Decided to go with the 255 Cam because I do a good bit of 2up riding and felt the other Cams, both HD259e and Woods 555 or 777 were more mid to top end Cams as compared to the 255 Tree Trunk Pulling Cam. Now that I've completed my life cycle by moving up to the Ultra from my 97 RK my days of running the bike up to 120mph have been satisfied. Now I'm just looking for the seat of the pants, hold the handlebar, feel my head drift back from hard pulling torque on the low end plus add a little more HP by moving up to 103".

Quick Reply: Changing the Gauge Lights to LED's