Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   What is the best bagger cam?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/72058-what-is-the-best-bagger-cam.html)

maineultraclassic 12-09-2006 10:49 PM

What is the best bagger cam??

I'm curious what people think is the best bagger cam set, which cam gives the highest peak numbers with the most usable power. Nice flat torque curve, and good HP.

With my current build, changing nothing but the cams...............what would be the best cam?

Zippers 320cfm Air Cleaner kit
Power Commander III usb w/rev-extend
Supertrapp Supermeg 2-1 Exhaust
1550 SE Flattop Pistons - 95"
Andrews 26G Cams
Big Boyz "Street Ported" Heads
CC'ed and Milled for 9.6-1 Compression
Cometic .030 Head Gasket
SE Quick Install Pushrods
SE Clutch Spring
SE Triple Platinum Spark Plugs

No high lift cam, no high lift springs................just swapping the cam for another "bolt-in" stock spring cam.

Just curious as what people think from either tested results or personal experience..................all for possible future changes.

Steve

jeepster09 12-09-2006 11:16 PM

RE: What is the best bagger cam??

The cam that you have with the compression ratio that you have is about the best available.

bountyhunter 12-09-2006 11:20 PM

What a loaded question that is...you want to dump the 26's already & cough up for another tune? What cam advice did the R&R crew give ya? Why not do a higher comp set-up?

dawg 12-09-2006 11:35 PM

Well, you know what R&R told me....they said his 615's

maineultraclassic 12-09-2006 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

What a loaded question that is...you want to dump the 26's already & cough up for another tune? What cam advice did the R&R crew give ya? Why not do a higher comp set-up?
Not really ready to dump the 26's, just looking at all possible options for any future changes.

I'm not interested in going higher then 9.6-1 compression, Bean actually just got ahold of me and told me I was actually at 9.7-1........"Quikbike" was at 9.6-1...........we both had our heads done at the same time.

I didn't really discuss any build changes or anything with R&R. The dyno tuner thought the bike ran great and was very happy with his results. The guy who took it out for a test ride after said it felt great too.

There are so many cams out there, I'm just curious if any of them are that much better then the 26's to warrant a swap for the $500 it would cost.

Steve

PhilM 12-10-2006 11:21 AM

I'd say, that given your stated criteria, the 26's you have now are the best ones for ya.

Bryan TTM 12-10-2006 11:35 AM

thats what i run with his heads at 10.5 to 1...never a ping...lots of power...quieter than stock

ORIGINAL: dawg

Well, you know what R&R told me....they said his 615's

bountyhunter 12-10-2006 11:44 AM

You've seen PHIL's new sheet with Headquarters components. www.head-quarters.com for more similarly impressive sheets. Hey, they are only about an hour away from me...interesting site!

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1096/bike012vu9.jpg

maineultraclassic 12-10-2006 11:48 AM

You've seen PHIL's new sheet with Headquarters components. www.head-quarters.com for more similarly impressive sheets. Hey, they are only about an hour away from me...interesting site!

Yes, Phil and I have been PMing each other about it.

The only thing is that the HQ-0039G cam requires a high lift spring kit, and if I was to do anything I don't want to tear apart the top end again.

Phil's current setup is AWESOME..............that thing must be a blast to ride...............and I'm jealous :)

Steve

04RoadKing 12-10-2006 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Phil's current setup is AWESOME..............that thing must be a blast to ride...............and I'm jealous :)

Steve

I'm jealous too, Man that's what I what for power.