Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hell's Foundry Dashlink for Iphone

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
fannin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hell's Foundry Dashlink for Iphone

I've been debating on a way to mount my iPhone and had a hard time between the Ridersclaw and the Dashlink. I had a Ridersclaw for my HTC EVO and it worked fine, it just looked like crap with all the wires hanging from it.

The Dash link is a sweet piece but they want a ton of coin for it $399. So after looking on ebay to see if they were any cheaper I found one on the Dennis Kirk Scratch and dent. Ended up winning it for $79!! I receive it and looked it over couldn't find any major flaws in the paint. It was missing the fuel cap. So i just reused to original.

It took about 30 minutes to install and route the wires. It it really a clean install for an Iphone. For the most part the wires are hidden except where it plugs into the front of the radio. I might send it out to Iron Cross and have a rear input installed or might try it myself. The only problem I have with it is where the front mounts against the tank. It has about 1/2" or less gap sticking out. Maybe this is a blem is why I got it so cheap? Oh well hardly noticeable.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Does sit have a concealed drain hole near the plug to keep water from accumulating? Just curious.

Adam

Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
fannin
Cruiser

Here's what it says on their website.

"Designed in drainage routes liquid under and away from device and connector"

Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice. It is a good looking piece!

Adam

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I considered going with this setup but wasn't crazy about the idea of just plugging in to the auxiliary plug. I would prefer to be able to pick my songs etc using the hand controls. When I get around to it I'll probably go with the HDPDPLUS iPOD INTERFACE from iron cross. They've lowered their price even more than it already was so it's a much cheaper option than this or the harley interface

Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
fannin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I considered going with this setup but wasn't crazy about the idea of just plugging in to the auxiliary plug. I would prefer to be able to pick my songs etc using the hand controls. When I get around to it I'll probably go with the HDPDPLUS iPOD INTERFACE from iron cross. They've lowered their price even more than it already was so it's a much cheaper option than this or the harley interface
I also considered that. I thought about getting that and modifying it to work with this, so you could still use navigation an see the map.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I considered this piece as well as the one from Sinister Wheel http://sinisterwheel.com/idash ... Then decided, nahhh.. I am gonna stick an iPad in my fairing:

Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's what I did on my bike, I got the kuryakyn GPS gas-door mount with a Marlin Mount (it is spring loaded so it will fit to your iphone with a case on it). Then I had the iron cross audio iPod adapter installed, and cut the wire and ran it coming out of the console like that with a grommet, looks nice and clean but beware there is 16 TINY phone jack type wires inside that iPod cable you will have to solder back together if you do cut it.

AL

Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
derikj
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fannin
I've been debating on a way to mount my iPhone and had a hard time between the Ridersclaw and the Dashlink. I had a Ridersclaw for my HTC EVO and it worked fine, it just looked like crap with all the wires hanging from it.

The Dash link is a sweet piece but they want a ton of coin for it $399. So after looking on ebay to see if they were any cheaper I found one on the Dennis Kirk Scratch and dent. Ended up winning it for $79!! I receive it and looked it over couldn't find any major flaws in the paint. It was missing the fuel cap. So i just reused to original.

It took about 30 minutes to install and route the wires. It it really a clean install for an Iphone. For the most part the wires are hidden except where it plugs into the front of the radio. I might send it out to Iron Cross and have a rear input installed or might try it myself. The only problem I have with it is where the front mounts against the tank. It has about 1/2" or less gap sticking out. Maybe this is a blem is why I got it so cheap? Oh well hardly noticeable.

Fannin,
You got yourself a sweet deal. The gap your referred to at the leading edge is identical to the gap on your stock HD console. Take a look at a stock one installed and you'll see it there as well. It was kept as an easy way to route wiring to the neck on some models. Sportster versions do not have a gap because it's unnecessary (wires run under the seat).
The AUX jack was used so install was simple. Who really wants to pull an outer fairing simply to plug into the radio? That's why H-D gives you the input.
A late model Road King fuel cap works great here instead of the stock part and they're cheap to boot.
Thanks and enjoy!
Derik

Last edited by derikj; 01-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice setup. I was looking at the same, but was concerned about the AUX input (as mentioned), maintaining handlebar controls, and having my iPhone out in the elements. I chose a Sony deck with Tune Tray, but that is a sexy alternative as well.

Quick Reply: Hell's Foundry Dashlink for Iphone